MYITSONE Dam Project: Important Topics for UPSC Exams
What is it?
- It is a large dam and hydroelectric power development project being
built upon the confluence of the Mali and N’mai rivers and the source of the
- The project is a joint effort of China and Myanmar.
- It was stalled by Myanmar in 2011 due to social, political and
- The project is suspended as of 2017 however it may be revived soon.
What are its main Objectives?
- To provide electricity to Yunan province of China and the Myanmar.
- Economic and social development of Myanmar.
- Foreign Direct investment by China into Myanmar.
- To ease China dependency on Oil import from Middle East and Africa
thereby reducing its vulnerability in case of Malacca Strait conflict.
Its Impacts, if the Project Becomes Successful:
India-Myanmar: As such no direct impact however China
will emerge as the potential go to partner for large energy projects across the
Irawaddy river which is around 14 dams in times to come. Further, China may
arm-twist Myanmar to take position against India on its western border fight
against terrorist groups.
Environmental: As per some reports, there will be huge
ecological cost that will be borne by the Myanmar and is not included in the
project costing mechanism. Many nearby areas will become flood prone adding to
the social cost.