Till the end of the year 1954 there was no formal recruiting agency in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. A Public Service Recruitment Board’ was set up on December 31, 1954. Subsequently with the coming into force of the “Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir State” on 26th of January 1957, “Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission” was established, under section 128 of the Constitution of J&K, on September 2, 1957, with Major General Yadev Nath Singh PVC, as it is first Chairman. Under section 129 of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir the Chairman and the Members of the Public Service Commission are appointed by the Governor for a period of five years or till he attains the age of 65 years whichever is earlier.
Functions of the Commission:
1. It shall be duty of Commission to conduct examinations for appointments to the services of the State.
2. The Commission shall be consulted: -
a) On all matter relating to methods of recruitment to Civil Services and for Civil posts.
b) On the principles to be followed in making appointments to Civil Services and posts and in making promotions and transfers from one service to another and on the suitability of candidates for such appointments, promotions or transfers;
c) On all disciplinary matters affecting a person serving under the Government including memorials or petitions relating to such matters;
And it shall be the duty of the Commission to advise on any matter so referred to them or any other matter, which the Governor may refer to them: Provided that the Governor may make regulations specifying the matters in which either generally, or in any particular class of cases or in any particular circumstances, it shall not be necessary for the Commission to be consulted.
3. Nothing in sub –section (2) shall require the Commission to be consulted as respects the manner in which a provision may be made by the State for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of any class of permanent residents which in the opinion of the Government is not adequately represented in the services under the State.
4. All regulations made under the proviso to sub-section (2) by the Governor shall be laid for not less than fourteen days before each House of the Legislature as soon as possible after they are made, and shall be subjected to such modifications, whether by way of repeal or amendment, as the Legislative Assembly may make during the session in which they are so laid.
- J & K Combined Services Competitive Examination (KAS)
- Range Officers
- Assistant Director (Statistics)
- Assistant Conservator Of Forest (ACF)