(Download) UPSC Mains 2014: General Studies Question Paper -
Subject: General Studies (Paper - 1)
Exam Date: 14th December 2014
File Size: 264 KB
File Type: HTML/PDF
1. To what extent has the urban planning and culture of the Indus Valley
Civilization provided inputs to the present day urbanization? Discuss.
2. Gandhara sculpture owed as much to the Romans as to the Greeks. Explain.
3. Taxila university was one of the oldest universities of the world with
which were associated a number of renowned learned personalities of different
disciplines. Its strategic location caused its fame to flourish, but unlike
Nalanda, it is not considered as a university in the modern sense. Discuss.
4. The third battle of Panipat was fought in 1761. Why were so many
empire-shaking battles fought at Panipat?
5. Sufis and medieval saints failed to modify either the religious ideas and
practices or the outward structure of Hindu/ Muslim societies to any appreciable
6. Examine critically the various facets of economic policies of the British
in India from mid-eighteenth century till independence.
7. In what ways did the navel mutiny prove to be the last nail in the coffin
of British colonial aspirations in India?
8. What were the major political, economic and social developments in the
world which motivated the anti-colonial in India?
9. What were the events that led to the Suez Crisis in 1956? How did it deal
a final blow to Britain’s self-image as a world power?
10. The New Economic Policy – 1921 of Lenin had influenced the policies
adopted by India soon after independence. Evaluate.
11. How does patriarchy impact the position of a middle class working woman
12. Why do some of the most prosperous regions of India have an adverse sex
ratio for women? Give your arguments.
13. The life cycle of a joint family depends on economic factors rather than
social values. Discuss.
14. Discuss the various economic and socio-cultural forces that are driving
increasing feminization of agriculture in India.
15. How do the Indian debates on secularism differ from the debates in the
16. Most of the unusual climatic happenings are explained as an outcome of
the El-Nino effect. Do you agree?
17. Why are the world’s fold mountain systems located along the margins of
continents? Bring out the association between the global distribution of fold
mountains and the earthquakes and volcanoes.
18. Explain the formation of thousands of islands in Indonesian and
19. Tropical cyclones are largely confined to South China Sea, Bay of Bengal
and Gulf of Mexico. Why?
20. Bring out the relationship between the shrinking Himalayan glaciers and
the symptoms of climate change in the Indian sub-continent.
21. Whereas the British planters had developed tea gardens all along the
Shivaliks and Lesser Himalayas from Assam to Himachal Pradesh, in effect they
did not succeed beyond the Darjeeling area. Explain.
22. Why did the Green Revolution in India virtually by-pass the eastern
region despite fertile soil and good availability of water?
23. Account for the change in the spatial pattern of the Iron and Steel
industry in the world.
24. Critically evaluate the various resources of the oceans which can be
harnessed to meet the resource crisis in the world.
25. How does India see its place in the economic space of rising natural
resources rich Africa?