IFS - Indian Forest Service Forestry Previous Year Paper
PAPER - I : SECTION A
1. Answer any four of the following (answer should not exceed more than
150 words for each question): (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) What is the criteria to select number of clones and their deployment in
plantation forestry ?
(b) How willow cultivation is life line in cold desert areas of the country?
(c) Describe storage behaviour of recalcitrant seeds and name seven tree species
producing seeds of this category.
(d) Why do forest plantations fail?
(e) Describe the storage methods of recalcitrant seeds and name seven tree
species which fall under this category.
(f) Importance and method of tree introduction.
2. (a) Discuss the term site quality and describe the basis of its
(b) What are different uses of vegetative propagation ? Name the five different
examples of topophysis. (20)
3. (a) Describe briefly clear felling system with its merits and
(b) Write the importance of mangrove forests and methods of rehabilitation of
degraded mangrove forests. (20)
4. Describe the silviculture of any four species. (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Gmelina arborea.
(b) Cedrus deodara
(c) Santalum album
(d) Populus spp.
(e) Tectona grandis.
5. Answer any four of the following (Answer should not exceed more than 150
words for each question) : (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Describe the different methods of plus tree selection in uneven aged
(b) Explain about water pollution and methods of their control with main
emphasis on phytoremediation.
(c) Suggest practical methods for the reclamation of saline and alkaline soils.
(d) What do you mean by ethno botany, its importance and practice in nature
conservation by tribal people?
(e) Write a note on Environmental Impact Assessment.
(f) Why the provenance testing is prerequisite before taking genetic improvement
of any given species? How it can be done?
6. (a) Describe the role of NGOs in JFM with special reference to
biodiversity conservation. Justify with suitable example. (20)
(b) What do you mean by shifting cultivation and improved fallows and its
management under agro forestry system? (20)
7. (a) Describe the basis of land classification in brief for
watershed management. (20)
(b) Explain the importance and different ways of carbon sequestration in
terrestrial ecosystem. (20)
8. Write notes on any four of the following: (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Importance and types of Heritability. How it can be increased?
(b) Specific combining ability and its utility in tree improvement.
(c) Breeding value.
(d) Acid rain.
(e) Hybrid vigour and its utility in tree breeding.
PAPER - II : SECTION A
1. Attempt any four questions from the following (not more than 150
words for each): (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Describe the method for calculation of normal growing stock from yield
(b) Write significance of enumeration map in a divisional working plan.
(c) Explain relationship between sustained yield and normal forest.
(d) Discuss advantages of remote sensing technique in Forestry.
(e) Write procedure for preparation of general volume table.
2. (a) What are the different methods of Plain Table Survey ? Describe
any one. (20)
(b) Explain form of a tree and discuss principle of Girder Theory. (10)
(c) What is biological diversity? Why Indian subcontinent is rich in
3. (a) Describe Biolley’s check method of yield regulation in irregular
(b) Discuss general specification of cement mortar. (10)
(c) Explain superiority of remote sensing over ground survey. (10)
4. (a) Describe Austrian Assessment Method of yield regulation in regular
(b) What are the advantages and disadvantages of brick masonry work over stone
masonry work? (10)
(c) Discuss the concept of Joint Forest Management and mention the advantages of
Joint Forest Management over traditional forest management. (10)
5. Attempt any four from the following (not more than 150 words for each)
(10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Describe biotic components of an ecosystem.
(b) Describe the process of typical succession in Xeric condition.
(c) Discuss extraction of forest timber by means of aerial ropeways.
(d) Describe concept and method of rotational grazing.
(e) Discuss the types of fencing applied to protect forestry crops.
6. (a) Discuss artificial and natural systems of classification of plant
(b) Describe primary as well as derived forest fires. (10)
(c) Discuss types of lac crop harvested in India. (10)
7. (a) Compare and contrast National Forest Policy 1988 with that of
(b) Explain “damping off” diseases of forest nurseries and discuss its
control method. (10)
(c) Describe the procedures of sales of forest produces. (10)
8. (a) What is Ethnobotany? How it helps in Indian systems of medicines?
(b) What is particle board? Mention common types of particle boards available in
(c) Describe natural defects of timber. (10)