Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Computer Science (Code No. 10)
1. Fundamentals-of-Computer-Processing System: Electronic digital
computer and its parts (CPU Memory, I-O devices), machine instructions: opcode,
operand, instruction counter, instruction cycle, memory addressing, registers in
CPU, Number systems (digital, binary, octal, hexadecimal), codes: character
codes (ASCIL, EBCDIC), BCD code, Excess3 code, Software (system and application
software). Electronic data Processing Concepts: Data Information, File,
Database, Need, Quality, Value. Categories of information, organization of
information in business. Benefits of EDP, Application of EDP in education,
management, public delivery, bank, financial accounting, inventory control etc,
Classification of computers: Classification based on size, design and purpose,
History of computer: features of different generations.
2. Programming languages: machine language, assembly language, high-level
language, 3GL, 4GL languages, Graphic user interfaces, Algorithm, Flowchart,
developing programs in PASCAL language.
3. Digital Circuits: Logic families, gates, flip flops, Design of
combinational and sequential circuits, Boolean algebra and minimizations
4. Personal computer software: Word processing packages, Spreadsheet
packages, database management system packages, Desk top publishing, Computer
animation packages, Introduction to MS Office.
5. Operating System concepts: Need of operating system, categories of
operating system, functions of operating system, familiarity with common
operating systems: DOS, Windows 2000, UNIX.
6. Computer and communication: Need of data transmission over long distance,
Communication channels: twisted pair, coaxial cable, microwave radio waves,
optical fibre, satellite, analog and digital transmission, serial and parallel
transmission, modems, networking concepts: LAN, WAN.
7. Internet topology: Concept of internet, how does internet work, internet
protocols, net surfing and searching, browsers, search engine, world wide web,
HTML and Java concepts.
8. E-Commerce: What is E-commerce, advantages and growth of E-commerce,
electronic payment system digital currencies, cyber cash E-cash, credit cards,
smart cards, supply chain management, security considerations.
9. Recent advances in concept and products in Information Technology:
Parallel processing, Artificial Intelligence and expert systems (concept only),
Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing, Wireless communication, Convergence
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page