Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Sociology (Code No. 28)
Sociology as a Science
- Relation of Sociology with other Social Sciences : Economic, Political
Science and Social Anthropology.
Basic Concepts :
- Society : Meaning, nature and characteristics.
- Community : Meaning and characteristics, Relationship with society.
- Association : Meaning and characteristics.
- Social Institution : Meaning, characteristics and forms; functions,
difference between Social institution and Association.
- Social Group : Meaning and characteristics, Types - Primary and Secondary
- Social Interaction : Contact, communication and interest fulfilment.
- Culture : Meaning, characteristics, components and cultural processes.
- Social Structure : Meaning, characteristics and theories.
- Social Stratification : Meaning, bases, forms and theories.
- Status and Role : Meaning, types and mutual relationship.
- Norms and Values : Meaning, types and mutual relationship.
- Social Processes : Meaning, nature and forms-cooperation, competition and
- Socialization : Concept, types, agencies and theories.
- Social Deviance : Meaning, Forms and theories.
- Social Change : Meaning, factors and theories. Change, progress and
development, Directed social change.
Magic, Religion and Science
- Indian Society : Socio-cultural factors; Unity and diversity.
- Caste in India : Features, origin and changing patterns.
- Purusharatha and Varnasharma Vyavastha : Objectives, features and forms.
Marriage and Family in India : Features, forms, changes, problem and related
- Kinship in India : Features, types and usages.
- Residence and Descent : Rules, forms and primogeniture.
- Status of Women in India : Changes, problems and related laws.
- Population Problem in India : Causes, forms extent and remedies.
- Current Social Problems in India : Casteism, communalism, regionalism,
poverty, bondage of labour, child misuse, environmental pollutions, crime and
juvenile delinquency and youth unrest. Scheduled Castes and
- Scheduled Tribes
in India : Problems, safeguard, Constitutional provisions and related
- Induced Social Change in India : Aims, Plans, Projects & Schemes. Rural
and Tribal Development strategies and Agencies.
- Urbanization and Industrialization in India : Positive and negative
implications for social life in India.
Panchayati Raj in India
Economic and Political Systems of simple and complex societies.
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page
We Need Your Help... Recommend Us on Google