How To Fill UPSC IAS Exam Form Online
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILLING ONLINE APPLICATION FORM for Civil
Services (Preliminary) Examination 2016
(Mentioning of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination – 2015 is only for
illustration and for your understanding of the whole process.)
1. Applicants are advised to carefully go through the detailed Notice of
Civil Services Examination, which can be viewed on the website of the Commission
(www.upsc.gov.in) in Examination submenu.
2. To apply for CS (P), applicant should click on the link available on the
website of the Commission (www.upsc.gov.in) (UPSC ONLINE APPLICATIONS).
This will take the candidate to the http://www.upsconline.nic.in/. OR The
applicant can directly visit http://www.upsconline.nic.in/ website to fill up
the application. Screen as given will appear.
3. Click on “ ONLINE APPLICATION FOR VARIOUS EXAMINATIONS OF UPSC”
link. This would take you to the sample screen as shown below:
4. Click on the Part 1 registration given against Notice No. 09/2015-CSP.
This will lead you to the Part 1 Registration Form.
5. The Part-I Registration is done in 2 steps in which the applicants have to
fill in the requisite information, particulars and details asked for.
6. Applicant must fill in all the required fields. Fields marked with red
STAR (*) are mandatory and essential to be filled in by the applicant.
- Name: As recorded in the Matriculation/Secondary Examination
Certificate. Applicants are not to use any prefix such as Mr. or Ms. etc
unless their name consists of only 3 letters, as 4 letters are mandatory for
- Gender: To select from Male/Female.
- Date of Birth: As recorded in the Matriculation/ Secondary
- Father’s Name: Applicant should not use any prefix such as Shri
or Dr. etc.
- Mother’s Name: Applicant should not use any prefix such as Shri
or Dr. etc.
- Nationality: Should opt from Indian/Others. Applicant should note
that only Indian citizens are eligible for Indian Administrative
Service/Indian Police Service.
- Marital Status: Applicant should choose from Unmarried /Married
/Widow/ Widower/ Divorcee.
- Physically Challenged: Applicant should indicate by ‘Yes/ No’.
- PH Category: There are three categories i.e Ortho, Blind/Low
Vision, and Deaf-Mute. Applicants with less than 40% disability will be
considered as NON-PH and they are not eligible for claiming age relaxation
under the Rules. For other details, applicant may refer to the Detailed
Notice of this Examination.
- Physically challenged certificate date: Date of issue of the
Certificate is mandatory.
- Community: Applicant should fill the appropriate category from
General/ OBC/ SC/ ST. Applicants who belongs to OBCs but come under the
'Creamy Layer’ is not entitled to OBC reservation as per Rules. Such type of
applicants will be treated as belonging to General category.
- If you belong to Minority: In case of yes, should choose
appropriate ‘Minority’ option.
- Fee Remission Claimed: Admissible only to SC/ST, PH and Female
- Educational Qualification: Applicant should fill the appropriate
- Address: Applicant should fill the correct address for
communication, including his/ her mobile number and e-mail address.
7. Click on “Continue” button at bottom of the page to go to the next
step. This would take you to page asking for Claiming Age relaxation
8. Here the system asks if the candidate wishes to apply for
‘Age Relaxation’. The candidate will be given the option to select the category
under which he/she is applying for age relaxation. (Candidates are advised to
refer to the detailed Notice No. 09/2015-CSP which is available in the website
9. After filling Claiming Age Relaxation, applicant must click on “Continue”
button at bottom of the page to proceed to the next step.
10. Percentage at Graduate level: This must be filled correctly. In
case of 'CGPA' please fill as per the Rules of concerned Board/ University/
11. No. of Attempts already made in Civil Services Examination: Must
be filled correctly.
12. Specific Details for Civil Services (Main)
Examination, viz. Centre for CSM Examination, Optional Subject for Paper VI
& VII, Language Medium for Examination for Paper I to Paper VII, information
regarding hailing from Arunachal Pradesh/ Manipur/ Meghalaya/ Mizoram/ Nagaland/
Sikkim and whether claiming exemption from appearing in INDIAN LANGUAGE FOR
Note: Applicants must fill these fields carefully as no request for
change in these fields at a later stage (i.e. DAF ) will be considered.
13.1 Centre for Examination (Main): To be selected from the given list
of 23 centers in dropdown menu.
13.2 Optional Subject for Paper VI & VII: To be selected from the
given list in dropdown menu. 13.3 Language Medium for Examination for Paper I to
Paper VII: To be selected from the dropdown menu carefully.
13.4 Information regarding hailing from Arunachal Pradesh/
Manipur /Meghalaya /Mizoram /Nagaland /Sikkim and claiming exemption from
appearing in INDIAN LANGUAGE FOR PAPER A should be selected either Yes or No.
13.5. Applicants selecting ‘No’ in para 12.4 have to select the Language
for Paper A.
14. Click on “Continue” button at bottom of the page to proceed to the
Here the system displays all the information provided by the
candidate in the application form for verification. ‘Update’ button is also
provided therein at the bottom of the Online Application details to move back
and make any correction in the information filled in. The candidates are advised
to check the filled in details and satisfy themselves that all information are
No change/ edit request of any information filled by the
applicants on the submitted application would be allowed at any subsequent stage
of the examination process. However, application may be submitted by the
applicant to correct its earlier mistake with requisite fee in case not a fee
15. When an applicant clicks on I Agree button, his/her eligibility for age
relaxation and other criteria is automatically checked by the system. With the
correct eligibility, the system Displays the system generated unique
‘Registration ID’ along with the essential identification information about the
candidate viz. ‘Name’, ‘Father’s Name’, ‘Mother’s name’, ‘DOB’, ‘Address’,
‘Examination Centre’ etc. opted by the candidate.
16. The applicant is also intimated that he has completed PART-I of the
Registration of Online Application procedure. The applicants may however note
that Application would be treated as incomplete and rejected unless accompanied
with Part-II Registration.
17. APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO TAKE A PRINT OF THIS PAGE BY CLICKING ON THE
“Print” OPTION AVAILABLE BELOW NOTE-2 THEREIN. THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO INPUT
THEIR REGISTRATION ID and DOB at subsequent stages.
18. Once PART-I of the Online Application procedure is
completed, an applicant has to complete the PART-II Registration for the
successful Online Application Submission by clicking on the link ‘click here’
under Part-II Registration on the website (www.upsconline.com). PART-II
REGISTRATION COMPRISES THREE STEPS:-
- FEE PAYMENT (SC/ST/PH/Female are exempted from fee payment.)
- EXAMINATION CENTRE for Civil Services (Prelims) HAS TO BE CHOSEN FROM
THE AVAILABLE DROP DOWN MENU.
- UPLOADING OF PHOTOGRAPH and SIGNATURE
19. FOR FEE PAYMENT CANDIDATES HAVE THREE OPTIONS:-
- THEY CAN PAY CASH AT ANY BRANCH OF STATE BANK OF INDIA THROUGH THE
PAY-IN-SLIP GENERATED BY THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS.
- THEY CAN PAY ONLINE USING ANY VISA/MASTER DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD ISSUED BY
THEY CAN PAY ONLINE USING THE INTERNET BANKING FACILITY
OF THE STATE BANK OF INDIA/STATE BANK OF BIKANER & JAIPUR/STATE BANK OF
HYDERABAD/STATE BANK OF MYSORE/STATE BANK OF PATIALA/ STATE BANK OF
TRAVANCORE IF THEY ARE CUSTOMERS OF THESE BANKS AND HAVING THEIR INTERNET
20. APPLICANTS OPTING TO DEPOSIT FEE IN CASH ARE ADVISED TO
TAKE PRINT OF PAY-IN SLIP BY USING THE OPTION “Print Bank Pay-in-Slip”. Using
this pay-in slip, they should deposit the fee in cash at any branch of STATE
BANK OF INDIA. The Bank will not accept any other pay-in slip or challan than
the one printed through the “Print Bank Pay-in-Slip” OPTION of this Online
Application. After receipt of cash, the Bank would stamp the pay-in-slip and
also provide a “TRANSACTION ID” as indicated on the Challan Form as SBI
Journal Number. After paying fee through Cash Mode, The candidate
would have to go to the website ( www.upsconline.nic.in) again and fill the
transaction id and other details with PART-II Registration process.
21. After filling fee details (in case of cash payment) or paying fee through
other than Cash mode, the application must click on the Continue button provided
at the bottom of the page.
22. In next step, Applicant must fill in the Centre of Examination for Civil
Services (Prelims) and click on the submit button given at the bottom of the
23. Photo and Signature Upload: Applicants have to upload
images of their photograph and signature # in .jpg format, each of which
should not exceed 40 KB in size and must not be less than 3 KB in size for
the photograph and 1 KB in size for the signature. Each of the images of
the photograph/signature should not exceed 40 KB in size (for photograph,
the pixel size is 140 pixels height x 110 pixels
width and for signature it should be 110 pixels height
x 140 pixels width) and also to be ensured that the uploaded
photograph/signature are proper and clear.
24. After uploading a fresh page shows the preview of the uploaded images by the
Here the candidate is advised to see his/her uploaded
photograph that the photograph is clearly visible/identifiable in the upper row
and the specimen signature in the lower row. In no case these rows should be
swapped and uploaded photograph and specimen signature must be clearly
identifiable / visible, otherwise the candidature of the candidate is liable to
be cancelled by the commission and no representation from the candidate will be
entertained by the commission regarding any change for the wrong data uploaded
/filled up by the candidate. If the candidate is satisfied with the uploaded
images he may CONFIRM the uploading of photograph and signature by clicking on
Confirm Upload button. If by any reason uploaded images are not up to the
mark then the candidate can RELOAD these images by clicking on the Reload
Photograph and/or Reload Signature button. They can view reloaded
Photograph/signature by clicking on “Image refresh” button. The software will
not save photograph and signature of the candidate unless he confirms the upload
by clicking on Confirm Upload button.
25. Applicants should satisfy themselves about the quality of photograph &
signature files upload. Applications having poor quality photo or signature
files are liable to be rejected
26. In a next step, through a fresh page the applicant is intimated that
their application has been submitted successfully. This page has also a link to
view the complete application. Applicants are advised to take printout of their
completed application right after they have completed the application process.
27. To view the application submitted by the candidate a link View/Print
Application is also given on the home page.
28. Candidates applying online need NOT send hard copy of the Online
Application filled by them online or any other document/certificate/testimonial
to the Union Public Service Commission. However they are advised to take
printout of the Online Application and retain it for further communication with
29. The Candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they
fulfill all eligibility conditions for admission to examination. Their admission
at all the stages of the examination will be purely provisional subject to
satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions.
30. Mere issue of admission certificate to the candidate will not imply that
his candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission. The Commission takes
up verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents
at subsequent stages of examination process.
UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road,
New Delhi - 110069
संघ लोक सेवा आयोग
धौलपुर हाउस, शाहजहां रोड,
नई दिल्ली - 110069
Facilitation Counter / सुविधा केन्द्र : 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125
Fax / फैक्स 011-23387310 - J.S. (Exam) / जे.एस. (परीक्षा) : 011-23387310
FOR ONLINE RECRUITMENT APPLICATION (ORA) FOR VARIOUS RECRUITMENT POSTS /
विभिन्न पदों के लिए ऑनलाइन भर्ती आवेदन (ओ.आर.ए.) के लिए
Online Recruitment Application & Admit Card / ऑनलाइन भर्ती आवेदन तथा
प्रवेश पत्र : 011-23385176 / 23098591 Ext.4754
FOR ONLINE APPLICATION FOR VARIOUS EXAMINATIONS / विभिन्न परीक्षाओं के
ऑनलाइन आवेदन के लिए Admit Card (Examination) / Detailed Application Form
(Examination) Query / प्रवेश पत्र (परीक्षा) तथा विस्तृत आवेदन प्रपत्र प्रश्न (परीक्षा)
:011- 23098591 Ext.4119/4120/4216/4295
Notification Query (Engineering) - Online Application / अधिसूचना प्रश्न (इंजीनियरी
) - ऑनलाइन आवेदन : 011-23387402
Notification Query (CMS) - Online Application / अधिसूचना प्रश्न (सीएमएस) -
ऑनलाइन आवेदन : 011-23098543 / 23385271 / 23381125 / 23098591 Extn. 4769/4341
Notification Query (CPF) - Online Application / अधिसूचना प्रश्न (सीपीएफ )
- ऑनलाइन आवेदन : 011-23386281
Online Exam Applications Technical Query / ऑनलाइन परीक्षा आवेदनों के लिए
तकनीकी प्रश्न : 011-23388088 / 23098591 Ext.4930