Mains Previous Year Paper Geology (1986)
Paper-I- Geology-1986 (Mains)
1. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Earths planetary dynamics in relation to Ice Ag
(b) Radiocarbon dating
(d) Kinematics axis
2. Explain foliations and lineation observed in the geological bodies and interpret their different
3. What is a geosynclines? Explain the basis on which geosynclines
are classified. Write Keys classification of geosynclines.
4. Comment on the major relief features of Indian Ocean and briefly discuss their origin.
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Evolution of Man
(b) Morphology and adaptations of bivalves
(c) Age of Deccan Traps
(d) Permian Triassic Boundary
6. What are the criteria which can be used for correlation of the Archean rocks of Peninsular India ?
7. Discuss the classification .and age of the “Gondwana Super Group” of India and correlate them with
similar formations of South Africa, Australia and South America.
8. Discuss briefly the morphology of trilobites with suitable sketches. How are the trilobites useful for
stratigraphic correlation ? Name six important trilobites of India.
Paper-II- Geology-1986 (Mains)
1. Explain any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Optical indicatrices
(b) Barrovian Zones of metamorphism
(c) Magmatic differentiation
(d) Heavy minerals and their significance
2. Explain the derivation of 32 classes of crystal symmetry.
3. Give an account of the physical, chemical and optical properties of the Feldspar group of minerals
with special emphasis on their variations with chemical compositions.
4. Discuss critically the statement that ‘There are chamockites and
5. Write explanatory notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Placer deposits
(b) Metallogenetic spochs
(c) Mineral benefication
(d) Soil types of India
6. Explain in detail the various controls that localize mineral deposits giving examples.
7. Explain how photo geological studies are useful in exploration work.
8. Describe the important Manganese deposits of India with reference to their mineralogy and
geological setting. Explain their origin.