Mains Previous Year Paper Geology (1993)
Paper-I- Geology-1993 (Mains)
1. Explain any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Crust, its composition and relationship with the mantle
(b) Drainage patterns
(c) Cleavage-bedding relationships in folds and its application
(d) Tectonic linear structures
2. How do you distinguish the following structures in each pair? Draw sketches to illustrate your
(i) A dome from a doubly plunging fold
(ii) A bedding plane from a joint plane
(iii) A recumbent fold from a reclined fold. Draw stereo grams
(iv) A fault surface from an unconformable surface
(v) A Strike fault form a strike slip fault
3. Discuss briefly the theory of Plate tectonics and show how it differs from the hypothesis of
4. Describe the important land forms developed as a result of varying
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Peninsular gneiss and its relationship with the schist belts
(b) Lower Gondwana flora
(c) Copper belt thrust
(d) Himalayan uplift
6. Draw a neat labeled diagram of a pelecypod shell and briefly describe it. Show its main differences
with the Brachiopods shell.
7. Describe the Cretaceous rocks of South India.
8. Write brief notes on:
(a) Delhi Super Group
(b) Barail Series
(c) Umaria marine bed and its importance
Paper - II- Geology-1993 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Twin laws and twinning in feldspars
(d) Binary systems
2. Describe the construction and uses of a Nicol Prism.
3. Give the structure and classification of Silicates.
4. What are heavy minerals? Discuss the significance of their study.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(c) Mineral conservation
(d) Structures of ore deposits
6. Describe infiltration, storage and circulation of ground water in hard rock terrains.
7. What are controls of ore deposition? Describe them.
8. Give an account of the mineral wealth of India.