Mains Previous Year Paper Geology (1997)
Paper-I- Geology-1997 (Mains)
1. Explain any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Causes and products of volcanism
(b) Causes and effect of sea level changes
(c) Linear and Planar structures, their genetic significance
(d) Mid Oceanic ridges and deep sea trenches
2. Describe different fault geometric and their relationship with the principal stresses.
3. Write brief notes on the following:
(a) Stress and strain ellipsoid, and rock deformation
(b) Superimposed drainage
(c) Geomorphic processes and cycles
(d) Causes of earthquakes and their seismic response
4. Describe the landforms of the glacial region.
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Dharwar Super Group
(b) K-T boundary
(c) Deccan traps
(d) Krol-Tal Sequence
6. Draw a neat full page labelled sketch of a Trilobite and describe its morphology. Give their
7. Write detailed notes on:
(a) Evolution of life on the Earth
(b) Evolution of the crust of the Earth
(c) Palaeogeography of India during Palaeogene period
8. Describe the Mesozoic formation of Kachchha (Kutch) with special reference to its sedimentation
Paper - II- Geology-1997 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Stereographic projection
(c) Angle of extinction
(d) Quartz Wedge and its applications
2. Describe Amphiboles. Add a note on their occurrence and alteration.
3. Give a comprehensive account of structural classification of Silicates.
4. Discuss the processes of Magmatic differentiation. Cite suitable examples.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(b) Structures of Sedimentary rocks
(c) ACF diagrams
(d) Ore dressing
6. Give a brief account of Copper deposits of India.
7. Discuss classifications of Sedimentary rocks. Which one, in your opinion, is most suitable ?
8. Give a brief critical account of geological knowledge as applied in the construction of Dams and