Mains Previous Year Paper Philosophy (1993)
Paper-I- Philosophy-1993 (Mains)
1. Write critical notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Hume’s doctrine of causality
(b) G.E. Moore’s way of analysis
(c) The theory of language-games and its application to philosophy
(d) The concept of intentionality.
2. It has been said that the entire western philosophical tradition consists of footnotes to Plato’s
teachings. Evaluate the statement critically with illustrations wherever necessary.
3. Has there been a revolution in philosophy in this century as has been claimed? If so, in what
respects? If not, why not?
4. Explain and evaluate the main contributions of Bertrand Russell to philosophy, logic, philosophy of
language and metaphysics demarcating the various phases of his philosophic development.
5. Write critical notes on any three of the following (in about 200 words each):
(a) The Mahayana Conception of Nirvana
(b) The Sphota theory
(c) Syadvads and its justification
(d) Adhdyasa and the proofs for it
6. Explain the main epistemological and metaphysical doctrines of the two main realist schools of
Buddhist philosophy. Are their views consistent with anatmavada and
pratityasamutpada, Discuss fully?
7 How is error explained in Nyaya and Advaita philosophy? Which explanation is mo reasonable and
8. Explain and examine the Samkya arguments for the existence of Prakriti and
Paper-II- Philosophy-1993 (Mains)
1. Write critical notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 Words each
(a) Philosophy as intellectual basis of culture
(b) Conquest of democracy over communism
(c) Limitations of Satyagraha
(d) Vamavyavastha and Caste system
2. Discuss the nature of socio-political Philosophy and describe its range of topics.
3 Consider critically the view that Sarvodaya Philosophy is undemocratic because it advocates
trusteeship instead of right to private Property
4. Discuss the possibility of modernizing the religious institutions in India.
5. Write critical notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 Words each
(a) The nature of religious language as expression of mystical experience
(b) Reason as the foundation of re1igious beliefs
(c) Relation of Islam with other religious
(d) Cosmological argument for the existence of God
6. Bring out the essentials of the Christian Philosophy of religion Can a Christian accept the possibility
of salvation through a non-Christ person? Explain
7. Clarify the problem of evil and discuss Crit1clJy its Various Solutions.
8. Are the paths of knowledge devotion and a mutually exclusive? Discuss critically