Mains Previous Year Paper Sociology (1982)
PAPER - I- Sociology-1982 (Mains)
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should-not exceed 200 words):-
(a) Suicide as a social fact.
(b) Decent and Kinship as social networks.
(c) Modernization and Intergenerational mobility.
(d) Suitability of questionnaire for data collection in developing societies.
2. How far do you agree with the view that while neo-positivism reduces sociology measurement,
functionalism directs attention towards meaning? Can functionalism explain dynamic social
3. Discuss the utility of Max Weber's ideal type as a methodological tool. Explain how Weber uses the
ideal type procedure to depict the authority patterns.
4. In social stratification a particular form of social inequality?
Analyze the role of wealth, power and status in the perpetuation of stratification systems in the
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (Each answer should not exceed 200 words):-
(a) Pressure groups and economic development.
(b) Industrialization and regional imbalances.
(c) Social movements and the uplift of the weaker sections.
(d) Indoctrination and educational processes.
6. Discuss the role of participative decision making in formal and informal organizations. Is it possible
to have workers' participation in industrial organizations?
7. Distinguish between science and religion. Examine religion as a functional and
dis-functional factor in the contemporary society.
8. Analyze Marxian theory of social change. Is it useful to comprehend the changes in the developing
PAPER - II- Sociology-1982 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following is not more than 200 words on each:
(a) Continuity and change in India.
(b) Agrarian and industrial class structure.
(c) Intergenerational gap and youth unrest.
(d) Decentralization of power and political participation.
2. What are the features of economic development? Outline the social determinants and consequence of
economic development in India.
3. Discuss the changing political relations in rural India in the context of democratic decentralization.
4. Critically examine the view that joint family organization in India is changing over to nuclear family.
5. Write notes on any three of the following is not more than 200 words on each:
(a) Education and society mobility.
(b) Direction of tribal change.
(c) Socio-cultural dimensions of Indian villages
(d) Westernization and modernization.
6. Discuss industrialization and urbanization as interrelated factors of social change in India.
7. What is a social movement? Discuss with examples the part played by social movements in bringing
about social change in India.
8. What do you understand by population dynamics? Discuss the social dimensions of population
control and family welfare programmes in India.