Mains Previous Year Paper Sociology (1991)
PAPER - I- Sociology-1991 (Mains)
1. Write short notes on any three' of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) The problem of objectivity
(b) Social control
(c) Protestant Ethic
2. 'Why does the individual, while becoming more autonomous, depend more upon society?'
(Durkheim.) How has die author tried to answer this question?
3. How does Parsons defend die nuclear family in promoting industrialization? Is his diesis universally
4. 'The history of the hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggle.' Critically comment on
this Marxian thesis.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Methods of scientific investigation
(b) Functional theory of stratification
(c) Intel-generational mobility
(d) The sacred and the profane.
6. What is the importance of Merton's Middle Range Theory' in sociology? Discuss critically.
7. What role can the power of unorganized masses play in bringing about social change in a democratic
8. 'Education is induction into the Learner's culture.' Examine die statement in society today.
PAPER - II- Sociology-1991 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Ritual purity and pollution in Hindu Society
(b) Social responsibility of political elites
(d) Plural society and secularism
2. 'Family joint ness still continues unaffected by the differences of religion, caste, urbanization and
3. Privatization of economy can often result in growing special inequalities exploitation and corruption.
How far are these fears justified in the Indian context?
4. Discuss the changes in the structure of power relationships of various castes at die regional levels.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) The share-croppers' movement in India
(b) The demographic transition
(c) TRYSEM-as a measure for rural development
(d) Common Civil Code and status of women
6. 'Institutionalized inequality in India has its cultural and economic coordinates.' Discuss.
7. Is legitimacy of key political institutions declining in India? Discuss this issue in die context of the
process of nation-building.
8. 'Uneven development is the major source of tribal unrest in India.' Examine die statement in relation
to die movements in tribal India.