Mains Previous Year Paper Sociology (1992)
PAPER - I- Sociology-1992 (Mains)
1. Write short notes on any three' of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Design of sociological research.
(b) Parsons idea of equilibrium.
(c) Concept of social structure.
(d) Internal contradictions
2. What are the basic questions which inspired Durkheim to study the division of labour in society ?
Critically comment on his conclusions.
3. Critically bring out the differences in the approaches of Karl Marx and Max Weber to the study of
class structure in industrial capitalist society.
4. Examine critically the place of culture in Malinowski's contribution of functional society.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Informal structure of bureaucracy.
(b) Education as a medium of cultural reproduction.
(c) Social consequences of increase in the rate od divorce.
(d) Merits and demerits of secret ballot in democracy.
6. Social inequality is the device by which societies ensure that the most important positions are filled
by the most qualified persons.' Explain this viewpoint and state the grounds on which it is refuted.
7. Elaborate the concepts of 'status-consistency' and 'status-inconsistency'. State the factors responsible
for 'status inconsistency' in modern societies.
8. What is happening to religion in the face of challenges of science in modern societies? Elaborate
your answer with the help of sociological literature.
PAPER - II- Sociology-1992 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Urban social organization.
(b) Ethnic diversity and education.
(c) Mass-media and education.
(d) Rural credit and its bearing on poverty.
2. Examine the features of continuity and change of Indian society in historical perspective.
3. 'Erosion of ecology and economy, and not politicization, is the main source of tribal unrest in India
today. Examine the validity of this statement.
4. How has the process of social and cultural change been examined by Indian sociologists? Discuss
5. Write notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Social consequences of market economy.
(b) Educational problem of rural women.
(d) Changing pattern of Hindu joint family.
6. Probe the social consequences of the land ceiling legislation in any one of the Indian Stales and state
the major difficulties in its implementation.
7. "The market cannot function without State; Critically examine the statement within the Indian
8. Explain how emerging rural-urban nexuses are reshaping the character of Indian political elite
and functioning of political institutions.