Mains Previous Year Paper Sociology (1997)
PAPER - I- Sociology-1997 (Mains)
Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks : 300
Candidates should attempt Questions 1 and 5 which are compulsory, and any three of the remaining questions, selecting at least one question from each Section.
.All questions carry equal marks.
SECTION - A
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words) : (a) Sociology as an interpretative discipline
(b) A good hypothesis
(d) Types of mobility
2. Is it possible to study social phenomenon scientifically ? Give a critical answer.
3. Critically examine Max Weber's theory of social action and its limitations.
4. Discuss Talcott Parsons' contribution to the analysis of social system.
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words) :
(a) Fundamentals of religion
(b) Concept of social movement
(c) Role of education in social development
(d) Industrialization and social change
6. "Education is an instrument of social control and social change," Critically examine the statement.
7. What are the problems of universalisation of primary education ? Discuss fully.
8. Explain the concept of social change. Critically examine the contribution of Karl Marx's theory of social change.
PAPER - II- Sociology-1997 (Mains)
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words each)
(a) Pluralism and national unity
(b) Industrial class structure in India
(c) Impact of Islam on Indian society
(d) Social consequences of occupational diversification
2. Outline the social factors related to generation gap. How has the generation gap led to the problems of youth unrest ?
3. Describe the sociocultural background of the political elites of contemporary
India. What has been the influence of their background on their political orientations
4. Caste is becoming weaker and stronger at the same time in present day India. ' Discuss the factors responsible for continuity and change.
5. Write short on any three of the following (in not more than 200 words each) :
(a) Social profile of slums
(b) Social dimensions of drug addiction
(c) Issues of tribal identity
(d) Communal tensions in India
6. Describe the role played by education in social mobility. Do you think that education has been the most important factor in accelerating social mobility in modern Indian society ? Give arguments in favour of your answer.
7. What changes have taken place in the tribal social stratification pattern in recent times ? Describe the factors responsible for these changes.
8. Describe the factors related to social movements. In the light of these factors explain the emergence of peasant movement in India.