IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (1997)
1. Explain any three of the following in not more than 200 words each :
(a) What are the drawbacks of Ex-Post-Facto design of research' ?
(b) Why do Figural-After-Effects take place ?
(c) What is the relation between Discrimination learning and Generalization ?
(d) What role does extinction play in long-term-memory ?
2. What would be the major methodological orientation for doing research in Physiological psychology, Social Psychology and Counselling Psychology ?
3. Is there any relation between process of socialization and the social learning theories of personality ?
4. In order to have effective communication how far should one learn the body language and relate it to verbal communication ?
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each :
(a) What is the relation of creativity, artistic aptitude and intelligence ?
(b) Can you relate the 'Guna' theory of personality with any Western model of personality ? .
(c) What is the difference in the altered state of consciousness through meditation and hyonotic trance ?
(d) Can the Cybernetic model of behaviour explain problem solving behaviour ?
6. In terms of motivational properties how would you rank attitudes and values ?
7. Dose the organizational man lead to the alienation in comparison to the Humanistic man ?
8. How does sleep and sensory deprivation affect behaviour of individuals who go for aviation and space flights ?
PAPER - II
1. Answer any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words ) :
(a) Briefly describe the origin of the measurement of individual differences and comment on the present status of psychological testing in India.
(b) What is group cohesiveness ? Discuss the factors affecting group cohesiveness.
(c) Is aptitude testing sufficient for determining the suitability of a person for a particular job ? If not, mention the other tests that should be applied ?
(d) Define achievement motivation. Discuss the basic factors on which the success of a programme of increasing individual motivation depends.
2. Describe the prominent symptoms of psychosis and discuss the main points of difference between psychotic and neurotic reactions.
3. It is said that Indian society is resistant to change. Is it true ? If so discuss the factors responsible for this and suggest measures to combat the same.
4. What is the aim of psychoanalytic therapy ? Discuss the significance of free association and dream analysis in the process of psychoanalytic therapy.
5. Answer any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words ) :
(a) Explain the concept of deprivation. How is it different from disadvantage ?
(b) Can stress be totally eliminated ? Discuss the main sources of stress in our society .
(c) Describe the verbal and non-verbal modes of communication and mention their significance.
(d) Juvenile delinquency is the outcome of broken homes. Do you agree with this statement ? Give reasons for your answer .
6. Discuss the different sources of development of prejudice in India, What steps do you suggest for minimizing the effects of prejudice.
7. Mention some of the techniques used in behaviour therapy and comment or its applicability.
8. What is meant by socialization ? Comment on the view that school is the best agent of socialization.