IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (2006)
PAPER - I
1. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) State the basic differences between a field experiment and a laboratory experiment especially
with regard to the external-internal validity of the findings.
(b) Explain the concept of perceptual organization. What are the processes which influence it?
Support your answer with theoretical constructs.
(c) Show how self-efficacy and outcome judgments influence the process of social learning.
Answer with relevant experimental studies
(d) Critically examine the notion of life-span development. Determine the impact of cultural
factors on child rearing practices.
2. Is there a conceptual continuity between sensation and perception? Explain the role of contextual
constraints in the inferential nature of the psychological construct of perception.
3. Describe experimental designs as the strategy to control variance. Present a classification of
experimental designs and specify problems associated with matched group designs.
4. How far is it correct to state that working memory presents the most complete description of a multicomponent
nature of the Short-term memory? Describe the components of working memory with suitable examples.
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) Show how and to what extent emotional intelligence is an amalgamation of emotional
orientation, regulation and control.
(b) Present an account of the attributes of the creative thinking and explain the factors tat impede
(c) Examine the notion of meditation. What are its cognitive implications? Explain.
(d) Critically evaluate the psychosocial theory of personality development.
6. Present a critical appraisal of the cognitive evaluation theory of intrinsic motivation and describe
those studies that bring out that achievement responsibility, interest and competence are independent
of extrinsic motivators.
7. "The mand and the tact functions' of language development proposed by Skinner are not powerful
enough to explain why particular utterances are produced at particular times." Discuss in the context
of Chomsky s rebuttal of Skinnerian theory of language development. Also explain Chomsky's
theory of language development.
8. Trace the common linkages between interests and values. Describe the factor analytical studies of the
structure of interests and values. Also delineate upon those strategies that ought to be adopted for
fostering values in the Indian socio-cultural milieu.
PAPER - II
1. Write short notes on any 3 of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Rehabilitation of persons suffering from substance abuse.
(b) Role of Community Psychology in social change.
(c) Training for improving memory and better academic achievement.
(d) Advertising and marketing.
2. What do you mean by personnel selection and training? Explain the uses and importance of
psychological tests in the industry.
3. What are the important psychological principles responsible for effective teaching and learning
processes? Discuss in detail as to how Gifted and Retarded can be trained.
4. Describe the concept of Community Psychology. Explain some of the important factors responsible
for arousing community consciousness and action plan in handling social problems.
5. Write short notes on any 3 of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Role of military psychologists in defence.
(b) Impact of rapid scientific and technological growth on degradation of environment.
(c) Identify the effective measures for motivating and training people for entrepreneurship and
(d) Psychological consequences of population explosion and density.
6. What do you mean by psychology of terrorism? Explain some of the important strategies to deal with
terrorism and insurgency.
7. Describe the role of psychologists in the present scenario of information technology and mass media
boom. Suggest some of the important techniques in making IT more popular in rural areas.
8. Are the concepts of disadvantage, deprivation and social deprivation synonymous? Suggest some
important strategies for educating and motivating disadvantaged towards development.