IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (2007)
PAPER - I
1. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) How do psychologists use case study and survey to describe behaviour? Indicate their
advantages and disadvantages.
(b) What is the impact of multiculturalism and globalisation on psychological studies? Discuss
the question with the help of salient contemporary trends in psychology.
(c) Discuss the role of repression and interference in forgetting.
(d) What are the theoretical and practical implications of research on signal detection and
vigilance? Discuss in the light of experimental studies.
2. Define the scales used in psychological measurement and distinguish between parametric and nonparametric
statistics. Illustrate the relative significance of these statistics by citing relevant research
3. Critically evaluate the efficacy of multi store and multi componential models of memory in the light
of relevant experimental evidence.
4. What do you mean by S-R and S-S conditioning? Discuss the question with the help of relevant
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each :
(a) How do concepts help problem solving? Discuss the factors which influence concept
(b) Distinguish between aptitude and interest and describe methods of their measurement.
(c) What are the key assumptions of projective tests? Indicate the problems encountered in
determining their reliability and validity.
(d) In view of increasing computer-human interface discuss its impact on human
6. Do attitudes influence behaviour? If yes, when and how? Give your answer in the light of relevant
7. What is effective communication? Discuss the role of message and communicator variables in
ensuring effective persuasive communication.
8. "The scientific theories of traits have an intuitive appeal because their basic unit of analysis,
personality traits, are very similarto simple nonscientific Yolk 'understandings of personality."
Critically evaluate this statement in the light of theoretical developments in the trait approach of
PAPER - II
1. Write short notes on any 3 of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Role of community psychologist in social change.
(b) Career counseling in the current scenario
(c) Assumptions underlying client-centered therapy and their evaluation
(d) Rehabilitation of HIV/AIDS victims
2. Explain the characteristics and types of standardized psychological tests. Critically comment on their
utility and limitations.
3. What are substance abuse disorders? Explain etiological factors underlying them. Indicate the
strategies for rehabilitation of persons suffering from substance abuse disorders.
4. Evaluate the applications of any two theories of Work Motivation in modern organizations. State the
importance of Participatory Management in Indian Industry.
5. Write short notes on any 3 of the following (each note should not exceed 200 words):
(a) Educating and motivating the disadvantaged groups towards development
(b) Psychological strategies for handling prejudice
(c) Fostering values through mass media and information technology
(d) Applications of psychology in combating terrorism
6. Explain the characteristics of entrepreneurial behaviour. How can people be motivated and trained
for entrepreneurship and economic development? Comment on the utility of such
7. Explain the psychological consequences of population explosion and high population density. How
can we motivate people towards small family norms?
8. Explain the role of Military Psychologist in Defence. Discuss the importance of Human Engineering