IES - Indian Economic Service General Studies Previous Year Paper (2002)
Candidates should attempt ALL
1. Answer any three of the following questions (in about 75 words each) 3
× 5 = 15
(a) Identify the Natural Regions of India and explain their special
(b) Discuss the factors responsible for the location of the Vishakhapatnam Steel
(c) What are the basic features of India’s Constitution?
(d) Explain the advisory jurisdiction of the Supreme Court of India.
(e) Explain the significance of the Kyoto Protocol and the subsequent
developments on global climate.
2. Write short notes on any two of the following questions (in about 75 words
each) 2 × 5 = 10
(a) Discuss the importance and nature of Asokas Dharma.
(b) Why is Chhatrapati Shivaji considered great by historians of India?
(c) Explain why METSAT is considered as a milestone in India’s space
3. Write short notes on any one of the following questions (in about 75
words) 1 × 5 = 5
(a) What is ultrasonography? Describe its uses in brief.
(b) Sustainable Development, with reference to the Johannesburg UN Conference.
4. Write short notes on any four of the following (In not more than 25 words
each) 4×2 = 8
(a) Concept of judicial activism
(b) Article 356 and the recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission
(c) Renewable resources.
(d) Criteria used by Census of India in identifying urban settlements in the
(e) Light combat aircraft
5. Write short notes on any four of the following (in not more than 25 words
each) 4 ×2= 8
(a) District Planning Committee
(b) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
(c) Central Drug Research Institute
(d) Computer Virus
(e) Water Harvesting
6. Are the following statements True or False? Give brief reasons for your
answer. Attempt any four of the following (in not more than 25 words each) 4×2
(a) Preamble of India’s Constitution is not part of the Constitution.
(b) Directive Principles of State Policy as given in Part IV of the Constitution
(c) Dharmastambhas were erected by Lord Buddha.
(d) The British were the first European merchants to establish factories on the
coasal regions of India.
(e) Water expands on freezing.
(f) Nuclear reactors use uranium -238 as fuel.
7. Why have the following persons come into news in recent times? Answer any
four of the following (in not more than 25 words each): 4×2=8
(a) Bunkar Roy
(b) G. L. Peiri
(c) Aung Suu Kyi
(d) Paul Boateng
(e) Mithali Raj
8. Where are the following located? Attempt any four. (Mention both the place
and the state) 4 ×2 = 8
(a) Central Arid Zone Research Institute
(b) Space Applications Centre
(c) Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
(d) National Environmental Engineering Research Institute
(e) Bharat Bhawan
9. Mention. the names of the rivers on the banks of which the following
cities are located : 5 x I = 5
10. Why are the following persons important (in not more than 25 words each)
: 5 × 1 = 5
(a) Abul Fazl
(b) Vasco da Gama
(c) Dadabhai Naoroji
(d) Robert Clive
(e) Ram Mohan Roy
11. Write one sentence each on the following 5 ×1 = 5
(a) Regional Development
(b) National Capital Region
(c) Dalal Street
(d) Shanti Van
12. What do the following abbreviations stand for? 5×1=5
13. Where are the following located? (Mention place and stat): 5 ×1 = 5
(c) Golconda Fort
(e) Dilwara Temple
14. Mention the names of the following: 5 x 1 = 5
(a) The Indian cricketer who has scored the largest number of Test
(b) The leader of the 1st Indian Expedition to Antarctics.
(c) The Chief Minister of a state who held office for the longest period.
(d) The first Indian Nobel Laureate.
(e) The first recipient of the Bharat Ratna.