Paper : IES - Indian Economic Service General Studies Previous Year Paper (2005)
1. Answer any Three of the following questions (in not more than 75 words): 5 ×3 = 15(a) Enumerate the different types of irrigation used for agricultural development in India.
(b) Explain the main sources of air pollution and its remedies.
(c) What are the provisions for reservation for women in the 73rd Amendment to the Constitution?
(d) Election Commission—Analyse its powers and functions.
(e) What are the functions of proteins in our body?
2. Answer any two of the following questions (in not more than 75 words) : 5 × 2 = 10
(a) What are the salient features of Lord Dalhousie’s administration?
(b) Examine the process of the transfer of power from East India Company (EIC) to the British Crown.
(c) Explain Carbon dating.
3. Answer any one of the following question (in not more than 75 words) : 5 × l = 5
(a) What is blink technology?
(b) Describe Planning Commission Vision 2020.
4. Write short notes (in not more than 25 words) on any Four of the following - 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Committee on welfare of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes
(d) Tiger files
(e) Components of Environment
(f) Indo—Russian Friendship Treaty, 1993.
5. Write short notes on any four of the following (in not more than 25 words): 2 × 4 = 8
(b) Difference between vaccination and inoculation
(c) Difference between soap and detergent
(d) Geo-stationary satellites
6. Are the following statements True or False? Give brief reasons for your answer (in not more than 25 words). 2 × 4 = 8
Attempt any four of the following:
(a) Kuchipudi is a dance form of Orissa.
(b) Big Ben is the name of a mountain.
(c) Intellectual Property Right gives legal protection to all the properties of the intellectuals.
(d) Chipko movements was started by Acharya Vinoba Bhave.
(e) Zero hour in Indian Parliament is the time of commencement of the parliamentary session.
(f) Leap year comes once in 10 years.
7. Why have the following come into news in recent times? Answer any four of the following in not more than 25 words each: 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Medha Patkar
(b) Maosuma al Mubarak
(c) Sunita Mittal
(d) Anastasia Myskina
(e) Madanlal Khurana
8. Where are the following located? Attempt any four (Mention both place and State): 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Indian Institute of Remote Sensing
(b) Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre
(c) National Institute of Virology
(d) National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences
(e) National Police Academy.
9. Mention the names of States in which of the following cities are located: 1 × 5 = 5
10. Why are the following persons important? Give your answer in 25 words: 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Mohammed Iqbal
(b) Lord Irwin
(c) Bankim Chandra Chatterji
(d) Sri Sankaradeva
(e) Baba Amte
11. Write one sentence on each of the following: 1 × 5 = 5
(a) 9th Schedule of the Indian Constitution
(b) Black Box
(c) Non-conventional energy
(e) Mahavir Charka
12. What do the following abbreviations stand for? 1 × 5 = 5
13. Where are the following located? Mention place and State: 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Dilwara Temple
(b) Ramoji Film City
(c) Victoria Memorial
(d) Prince of Wales Museum
(e) Bannerghatta National Park
14. Mention the names of the following: 1 × 5 = 5
(a) The metal ion present in Vitamin B-12.
(b) Who said, “Democracy is a government by the people, of the people and for the people”?
(c) Who wrote the book: “My Experiments with Truth”?
(d) Who wrote the book “Wings of Fire”?
(e) Who has the first woman president of the Indian National Congress?