Papers : IFS - Indian Forest Service
Botany Previous Year Paper (I) (2007)
PAPER -I : SECTION
1. Answer any four of the following (Answer should not exceed 150 words in
each case) : (4 × 10 = 40)
(a) Differentiate between the following:
(i) Somatic embryogenesis and caulogenesis.
(ii) Disease prevention and disease cure.
(b) Write short notes on the following:
(i) Concept of tot potency in plants.
(ii) Vegetative reproduction in bryophytes.
(c) Answer the following :
(i) In what way does a fungal cell differ from an algal cell?
(ii) What are the major differences between Gram positive and Gram negative
(d) Write briefly about the following:
(i) Origin and evolution of sex in algae.
(ii) Columella in bryophytes.
(e) Distinguish between the following :
(i) Cleistothecium and Apothecium
(ii) Gymnospcrms and Pteridophytes.
2. (a) Name several species of pathogenic oganisms that may be present
in polluted water.
(b) Comment upon the importance of Heterospory. (2 × 20 = 40)
3. Protoplast-to-plant regeneration has been achieved in almost all the
important plants. Describe the method of isolation, culture and regeneration of
plants from protoplasts isolated from any model plant species. (40)
4. (a) Comment upon the process of progressive sterilisation of
sporogenous tissue in bryophytes.
(b) Describe the process of Ascus development in Ascomycetes. (2 × 20 = 40)
5. Answer any four of the following (Answers should be within 150 words
in each case) (4 × 10 = 40)
(a) Describe the following :
(i) Characteristic features of reproductive organs of Benncttitales.
(ii) “Botanical gardens are more than mere gardens.” Substantiate the
(b) Distinguish between the following :
(i) Monosporic and bisporic embryo sac
(ii) Androecium of Malvaceae and Asteraceae.
(c) Write notes on the following :
(ii) Double fertilisation.
(d) Describe the following :
(i) Vavilov’s centres of origin
(e) Write what you know about the following:
6. Drew only the labeled diagrams of the following: (4 × 10 = 40 )
(i) L.S. of an embryo sac.
(ii) T.S. of Dracuena stem
(iii) V. S. Cycas ovule
(iv) Floral diagram of Asclepiadaceae.
7. Write short notes on the following (4 × 10 = 40)
(i) Intraxylary Phloem
(ii) Androeciurn of Euphorbiaceae
(iii) Gynoecium of Solanaceae
(iv) Botanical names of any five cereal plants.
8. Give an account of the following: (2 × 20 = 40)
(a) Development of a dicot embryo.
(b) Differences between cycadales and coniferales.