IFS - Indian Forest Service Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences
Previous Year Paper (2001)
PAPER-I : SECTION
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150
a. Dentition and its relationship with age in cattle (10)
b. Role of volatile fatty acids in ruminant nutrition. (10)
c. Corpus Luteum and its functions. (10)
d. Repeatability estimates. (10)
e. Weaning of calves. (10)
2. Draw a labelled diagram of the reproductive system of a cow. Enumerate the
functions of its various parts. Also discuss the role of various hormones
responsible for its functioning. (40)
3. a. How do we classify Indian sheep breeds? Give example of breed of
each class. (20)
b. Why have we gone for cross breeding in sheep in India? Name the
breed(s) of choice for cross breeding in India, (20)
a. Embryo Transfer Technology (10)
b. Priming in cows. (10)
c. Dehorning and Disbudding. (10)
d. Free martins and Crypt orchids. (10)
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150
a. Piglet Anaemia. (10)
b. Good litter for poultry, its qualities. (10)
c. Role of Iron, Copper and Cobalt in ruminant nutrition.
d. Progeny Testing. (10)
e. Stomach of a cow, its structure and functions. (10)
6. A female calf was born on 15.8.1995. Alter growing; the animal came in
first heat on 6.5.1997. Again the animal showed symptoms of heat on 26.5.1997
and was inseminated. Calving took place on 2.3.1998 and remained in milk up to
20.12.1998. In this period the animal was again inseminated on 8.6. 1998 and
calved for the second time on 15.3.1999. Determine (in days) -
a. Age at puberty.
b. Age at first calving.
c. First gestation period.
d. Service period.
e. Lactation length.
f. Intercalving period.
g. Dry period.
h. Second gestation period. (40)
7. What are out breeding, out crossing, cross breeding and grading? What is
Heterosis? Why have we one for cross breeding in dairy cattle in India? Name the
breed(s) of choice being used for grading. (40)
8. Give the Protein, Energy and Fibre requirements of layer hens. Compute a
complete ration for layer hens kept in cages. How much feed will be required for
5000 layer hens laying at the rate of 80%, for three months? (40)
PAPER-II : SECTION
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words
each: (10 x 4 = 40)
a. Role of blood and urine analysis in disease interpretation.
b. Housing for Broilers
c. Disease-free Zone
d. Biomarkers: Measures to assess environmental pollution
e. Hygienic requirements of an abattoir
2. Give an account of drug-receptor interaction. Discuss various variables
which influence drug activity. (40)
3. Discuss the epidemiological measures in study of infectious diseases and its
control measures. (40)
4. Give an account of deficiency diseases found in poultry and methods of its
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words
each: (10 x 4 = 40)
a. Irradiation preservation of meat
b. Processing of cheese
c. Principles of chemotherapy in drug therapy
d. Pharmacological basis of neurohumoral transmission
e. Treatment in fractures
6. What are autacoids? Classify with examples. Discuss their role in animal
7. Discuss various methods adopted to educate rural farmers in transfer of
technology of Animal Husbandry Programmes. (40)
8. Discuss the control measures to be adopted in case of water-borne infections
by studying the epidemiological features. (40)