IFS - Indian Forest Service Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences
Previous Year Paper (2004)
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150
words (10 x 4)
(a) Embryo transfer technology and Embryo bio-techniques.
(b) Evaluation of feed as a source of energy
(c) Deep freezing techniques for semen preservation.
(d) Heat detection techniques in animals.
(e) Importance of livestock records. (10)
2. What is the significance of feeding mineral mixture to livestock? What is
the role played by trace minerals in animal reproduction? (40)
3. What is Total Mixed Ration (TMR)? What is the advantage of making feed blocks
and give the scope of this new technology in feeding of animals. (40)
4. Enumerate various herd manage- mental practices for high yielding animals for
sustained milk productivity. (40)
SECTION - B
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150
words. (10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Animal behaviour and its importance.
(b) Effect of photoperiod in poultry production.
(c) Strategies for alleviating climatic stress in livestock.
(d) Feeding of sheep under range conditions.
(e) Formulation of least cost ration for animals
6. Discuss the advantages and limitations of artificial insemination programme
under Indian conditions. Describe the most common semen extenders and function
of its components. (40.)
7. Draw a layout plan for housing ten crossbred lactating cows under loose
housing system. Compare different systems of housing. (40)
8. What are the breeding technologies employed for improvement of indigenous
animals? Describe Grading up, crossbreeding and selective breeding. (40)
PAPER - II : SECTION A
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words
each (l0 × 4)
(b) Functional anatomy in relation to respiration and flying of fowl.
(c) Biochemical tests and their significance in disease diagnosis.
(d) Nervous and chemical regulation of heart.
(c) Renal function tests.
2. Discuss etiology, pathogenesis, symptoms, postmortem changes, microscopic
lesions, diagnosis and control of various types of deficiency diseases in sheep,
goats and pigs. (40)
3. Discuss the effect of High Altitude on the health and production of
4. Discuss the following
(a) Cellular level of pharmaco-dynamics and pharmaco-kinetics. (20)
(b) Modern concepts of anaesthesia and dissociative anaesthetics. (20)
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words each
(10 x 4 = 40)
(a) Meat Food Products Order
(b) Meat emulsions.
(c) Marketing of poultry meat and eggs.
(d) Social and economic implications of proper utilization of slaughter house
(e) Diagnosis and treatment of impaction in ruminants.
6. Discuss the etiology, epizootiology, pathogenesis, symptoms, gross and
microscopic lesions, diagnosis and prevention of Contagious Bovine
Pleuropneumonia (C.B.P.P.). (40)
(a) Principles and methods of immunisation of animals against specific
(b) Causes and management of diaphragmatic hernia in buffaloes. (20)
8. Name the zoonotic diseases caused by various micro-organisms and discuss the
role of animals and birds in their transmission to human beings. (40)