Civil Services Exam Paper Pattern (Pali)
Answers must be written in Pali language - Devanagari or Roman Script
Paper I: Pali Language
- Origin and Homeland of PÃ£li and its
- PÃ£li Grammar:
- Technical Terms of PÃ£li Grammar-
Akkhara, Sara, VyaÃ±jana, NiggahÃ®ta, NÃ£ma, SabbanÃ£ma, ÃƒkhyÃ£ta,
Upasagga, NipÃ£ta, Abyaya
- Taddhita. (Apaccabodhaka-and ÃƒdhikÃ£rabo-dhaka-Paccaya)
- Etymological derivation of the
following words: Buddho, Bhikkhu, SÃ£manero, SatthÃ£, Dhammo, LatÃ£yÃ£,
PurisÃ£nam, Tumhe, Amhebhi, Munina, RattÃ®su, PhalÃ£ya, AtthÃ®su, RaÃ±Ã±am,
- Translation of two PÃ£li unseen
passages into English.
- Essays consisting of 300 words on any
one of the following:
- BhagavÃ£ Buddho, Tilakkhanam, Ariyo
atthaÃ±giko maggo, CattÃ£ri ariyasaccÃ£ni, KammavÃ£do, PaticcasamuppÃ£do,
NibbÃ£nam paramam sukham, Tipitakam, Dhammapadam, MajjhimÃ£-PatipadÃ£.
- Summary of PÃ£li passages.
- Explanation of PÃ£li verses in PÃ£li.
- The meaning of following indeclinables
(Abyaya and NipÃ£ta) and their use in candidatesâ€™ own PÃ£li sentences:
- Atha, AntarÃ£, AddhÃ£, KadÃ£, KittÃ£vatÃ£,
Ahorattam, DivÃ£, YathÃ£, Ce, SeyyathÃ®dam, VinÃ£, KudÃ£cannam, Saddhim,
Antarena, Kho, MÃ£, Evam, Ettha, Kira, Pana.
Paper II: Pali
There will be two compulsory questions
which must be answered in Pali Language (Devanagari or Roman Script.
The remaining questions must be attempted
either in Pali or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate.
- Life and teachings of Buddha from the PÃ£li
- History of Pali Literature-Canonical
and Non-Canonical with reference to the following books and authors:
- MahÃ£vagga, Cullavagga, PÃ£timokkha,
DÃ®gha-NikÃ£ya, Dhammapada, JÃ£taka, TheragÃ£thÃ£, TherÃ®gÃ£thÃ£,DÃ®pavamsa,
MahÃ£vamsa, DÃ£thÃ£vamsa, SÃ£sanavamsa, Milindapanha, Petakopadesa,
Nettippa-karana, Buddhadatta, Buddhaghosa and DhammapÃ£la.
- Textual questions, critical comments
and annotated translations would be asked from the following prescribed
- DÃ®ghÃ£-NikÃ£ya (Only the SÃ£maÃ±Ã±aphala-Sutta)
- Sutta-nipÃ£ta (Only the
Khaggavisana-Sutta and Dhaniya-Sutta)
- Dhammapada (Only the first five
- Milindapanha (Only the
- Mahavamsa (Only the Tatiya-Sangiti)
- Abhidhammattha-sangaha (First,
Second and Sixth Chapters)
- PÃ£li Prosody :
Vuttodaya-Anutthubha, IndavajirÃ£, UpendavajirÃ£, VasantatilakÃ£, MÃ£linÃ®,
SikharinÃ®, Upajati, totaka, Dodhaka, Vamsattha.
- PÃ£li Rhetoric : SubodhÃ£lankÃ£rÃ£
-Yamaka, AnuppÃ£sa, RÃ»paka, Upama, Atisayutti, Vyatireka, NidassanÃ£,
Atthanta-ranyÃ£sa, DÃ®paka, Ditthanta.
- Short Notes on Buddhist concepts dealt
within the prescribed texts.
- Explanation of PÃ£li Verses from the