Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission
Syllabus For Economics Mains Examination (Optional)
ECONOMICS ( CODE NO. 13 )
PAPER - I
1. Economic activities and circular flow of income,
nature of Micro and Macro economics. Basic problems of the economy, concept and
measurement of National Income.
2. Consumer behaviour - Law of demand, Elasticity of
demand, Utility analysis and indifference curves technique.
3. Producer's behaviour - Production function, Laws of
Returns. Returns of Scale. Cost curves.
4. Price Theory - Price determination under different
market conditions, pricing of factors of production.
5. Keynesian Theory of employment and model of income
6. Banking - Objectives and instruments of credit
control. Monetary and credit policies in a planned developing economy.
7. Types and principles of taxation, Principles of
public expenditure, Objectives and instruments of Fiscal Policy, Centre - state
8. International Trade - Theories of International
Trade, Trade Liberalization and W.T.O. , Role of foreign capital in economic
development, determination of exchange rates, balance of payments.
9. International Monetary Institutions - I.B.R.D.,
I.M.F. and Asian Development Bank.
10. Environmental implications of development -
Renewable an non renewable resources, Pollution - land, water, air and
ECONOMICS ( CODE NO. 13 )
PAPER - II
1. Basic charatistics of Indian economy. Human and
natural resources, Structure of Indian Economy and composition of India's
National Income, problems of urban and rural economy.
2. Agricultural Development - Agricultural Policy,
land reforms, green revolution and its aftermath, programmes of rural
3. Industrial Development- Industrial policy, public
and private sector- privatization of public sector. Problems of Industrial
development in India. Policies of infrastructure development in India.
4. Economic Reforms and social justice in India,
Regulation of capital market, foreign currency market and foreign investment.
5. Fiscal and monetary policy in India - objectives
and recent budgetary trends, Reserve Bank of India and monetary policy.
Financial sector reforms and Banking.
6. Recent trends in India's foreign trade and balance
of payments. Currency convertibility on current and capital account. Impact of
W.T.O. on Indian Economy.
7. Indian Planning - objectives and strategies,
achievements and failures of Indian Planning, Problems of Indian planning.
8. Study of Madhya Pradesh Economy - Natural
resources, Human resources, Possibilities & Problems of Agricultural and
Industrial development, State domestic product, Resource mobilization.