Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission
Syllabus For Indian Geography Preliminary Examination (Optional)
GEOGRAPHY ( CODE NO. 15 )
PART - I
1. Physical Geography
(1) Lithosphere - Interior of the earth, origin of
continent and ocean basins - Theory of Wegner, Plate tectonics, Agents of
weathering and erosion, work of running water, Glacier and winds, Volcanoes and
earthquakes and their distribution in the world. Normal cycle of erosion DAVIS &
Penk, Major land forms - Mountain, Plateau & Plain.
(2) Atmosphere - Structure of atmosphere, Insolation,
Air Temperature, Pressure, Winds - Planetary winds, Condensation and
Precipitation - its type and world distribution, Air masses and Cyclones -
Temperate and Tropical, Major climates of the world.
(3) Hydrosphere - Land and water distribution on the
earth, oceanic temperature, salinity and its distribution, Tides, Oceanic
currents, Coral reef.
2. Human Geography
(1) Habitat - Social and Economic life of Equatorial
region, Tropical desert, Tundra and Mediterranean regions. Major Races of the
(2) Population - Growth, Density and Distrubition of world population,
(3) Settlements - Origin, types and patterns of rural settlements,
Process of Urbanization, morphology and functional classification of towns.
3. Economic Geography
(1) Geography of primary production: Agriculture -
Wheat Rice, Sugarcane, Tea Cotton, Rubber, major forest products and fisheries.
(2) Minerals - World Reserves and production of Iron ore, Manganese,
Bauxite, Tin and Copper.
(3) Fuel and Power Resources of the World - Distribution and production
of Coal, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Hydro electricity.
(4) Industries - Factors of localization and world distribution of Iron
and steel, Cotton textile and Petro chemical.
(5) Transport and Communication - Major Land, Sea and Air routes of the
world. Changes in World economy in the context of Globalization.
4. Geographical Concepts
Concept of distance and space, Concept of Region, Ecosystem and
PART - II
Geography of India
(1) Physical - Structure, Physical Division, Climate, Natural vegetation and
(2) Mineral and power resources - Distribution and production of Iron
Ore, Manganese, Bauxite, Copper and Mica. Reserves, Distribution and production
of Coal, Petroleum Natural Gas and Hydroelectricity.
(3) Agricultures - Major Crops : Conditions of
Production and Distribution of Wheat, Rice, Jowar, Cotton, Sugarcane, Tea, Jute
and Soyabean, Regionalization of Agriculture, Green Revolution and its impact,
(4) Industries - Location and distribution of Iron and
Steel, Cotton Textile, Sugar and Cement Industry.
(5) Contemporary Issues - Regional disparity, Poverty, Impact of
development on environment and people.
(6) Madhya Pradesh - Major Geographical Regions. Tribal Life and Culture
- Bhil, Gond, Baiga. Development of Industries and Transport system and Trade,