Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission
Syllabus For Indian Political Science Preliminary Examination (Optional)
POLITICAL SCIENCE ( CODE NO. 17 )
PART - I
1. (1) Nature and scope of Political Science -
Relationship with other allied disciplines - History, Economics, Sociology,
Philosophy and Psychology.
(2) Approaches to the study of Political Science -
Liberal, and Marxist.
2. (1) Concept of State - Elements and theories of
Origin (Social Contract, Evolutionary-Historical, and Marxist) Functions of
State (Individualist, Welfare State and Socialist)
(2) Other key Concepts - Sovereignty, Law, Rights,
Liberty, Equality, Justice and Political Development.
3. (1) Democracy - Meaning and Theories of Democracy,
Electoral Process ; Theories of Representation ' Public Opinion.
(2) Political Parties and Pressure Groups/Interest Groups;
4. (1) Government - Constitutionalism, Parliamentary
and Presidential form of Government ; Federal and Unitary form of Government.
(2) Global order - Neo Liberalism, Globalization,
Regional Organisations -EU, SAARC, ASEAN
5. (1) Political Ideologies - Liberalism, Marxism,
Socialism, Fascism and Gandhism.
(2) Nationalism and Internationalism.
PART - II
1. (1) Historical Perspective of Indian Political System -
Colonialism and Nationalism in India , The Indian National Movement ;
Constitutional Development in India.
(2) Indian Constitution - Main
Features: Federalism in India; Centre State Relations, Demand for State
2. (1) Fundamental Rights and Duties, Directive Principles
of State Policy, Parliamentary system in India.
(2) Legislature - Parliament, State Legislature.
3. (1) Executive-Union Govt. and State Govt., Role of
Governor, Coalition Govt.
(2) Judiciary - Supreme Court, Judicial Review and
4. (1) Party system and Pressure Groups in India -
National and Regional Political Parties, Pressure Groups in India.
(2) Election Commission of India, Electoral Reforms, UPSC.
5. (1) Urban Local Government - 74th Constitutional
amendment Act - Municipal Corporation and Municipalities.
(2) Rural Local Government - 73rd Constitutional
amendment Act - Panchayati Raj Institution, Working of Panchayati Raj in India.