Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission
Syllabus For Indian Public Administration Preliminary Examination (Optional)
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION - ( CODE NO.
PART - I
1.(1) Public Administration - meaning, scope and
significance, Evolution and status of discipline, Comparative public
administration and Development administration.
(2) Public and Private administration, State versus market
debate, New Public Administration, New Public Management, Perspective.
2. (1) Orgnisation, Hierachy, Unity of command, Span
of control, Authority and Responsibility, Coordination, Centralization and
Decentralization, Delegation, Supervision, Line and Staff.
(2) Scientific Management (Taylor and the Scientific
Management, movement), Classical Theory (Fayol, Urwick, Gulick and others)
Bureaucrative Theory (Weber and his critics)
3. (1) Decision making with special reference to H.
Simon, Communication and Control, Leadership Theories, Theories of motivation (Maslow
(2) The concepts of Accountability and Control,
Legislative, Executive and Judicial Control, Citizen and Administration People's
participation and Right to Information Act 2005.
4. (1) Comparative administrative features of USA,
Great Britain and France.
(2) Role of Civil Service in developing societies,
Position, Classification, Recruitment, Training, Promotion.
5. (1) Budget, concepts and forms, Formulation and
execution of Budget, Deficit financing and Public Debt.
(2) Financial control, Public account committee,
Estimate committee, Public undertaking committee, Budget debate, Accounts and
PART - II
1. (1) Constitutional context of Indian
administration, The President, Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Central
Secretariat, Cabinet secretariat, Prime Minister's Office.
(2) Planning Commission, Finance Commission, Election
Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Public Enterprises.
2. (1) Recruitment to all India and Central Services,
Union Public Service Commission, Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission,
(2) Bureaucracy, Generalist and Specialists, Concepts
of Committed Bureaucracy, Neutrality in Civil Services, Ministers Civil servant
3. (1) Governor, Chief Minister, Secretariat, Chief
(2) District Administration with special reference to
Madhya Pradesh, Role of Collector in Development
administration, D.R.D.A. (District Rural and Development Authority) and various
programmes of rural development in M.P.
4. (1) 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act, Three tier
Panchayati Raj system in India, Problems and prospects.
(2) 74th Constitutional Amendment Act, Municipal
Coprporation, Municipalities in India, Problems and prospectus.
5. (1) Historical development of Panchyati Raj
Institutions in Madhya Pradesh, Panchayati Raj Act 1994 and its amendments.
(2) Organisation and functioning of Panchyati Raj
Institutions in M.P., Problems and prospects.