Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Botany (Code No. 04)
1. Origin of Life : Basic ideas.
2. Biological Evolution : General account of chemical and biological
evolution and mechanism of speciation.
3. Cell Biology : Cell structure and functions of cell organelles;
structure and composition of cell wall and cell membrane. Mitosis and meiosis
and their significance.
4. Plant Anatomy: Origin, development, structure and function of
primary and secondary tissues.
5. Genetics and Plant Breeding : Mendel's Laws of inheritance, concept
of gene and genetic code; physical and chemical basis of heredity; Linkage,
crossing over and sex determination; Mutation, polyploidy, hybrid vigour and
their role in crop improvement.
6. Plant Diversity : Structure and evolutionary trends in plant forms :
(a) Algae to angiosperms.
(b) Ultra-structure, reproduction and economic importance of viruses, Mycoplasma
(c) Structure, reproduction and economic importance of Lichens.
7. Plant systematics : International code of Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN);
Principles and important rules of (Validity, Effectively and Priority). Herbaria
and Botanical Gardens and their role in plant systematics. Plant taxonomy - a
8. Plant Physiology : Water relations, Mineral nutrition,
Photosynthesis, Respiration, Nitrogen metabolism, Enzymes, Plant growth
regulators, Physiology of flowering, Secondary metabolites - a brief account.
9. Reproductive Biology : Pollination, fertilization, sexual
incompatibility; Development, structure dormancy and germination of seed.
10. Plant Pathology : Symptoms, etiology and control measures of
following diseases : White rusts of crucifers, Early blight of potato, Black
rust of wheat, Loose smut of wheat, Red rot of sugarcane, Tikka disease of
11. Environmental Biology : Structure and function of Ecosystem;
Ecological adaptations; Climate, Vegetation and Phytogeographical regions of
India. National parks and wild life sanctuaries - Deforestation, afforestation
and social forestry. Environmental pollution, ecological indicators, soil
erosion and waste land reclamation.
12. Botany - A human concern :
(a) Germ plasm resources and conservation.
(b) Endangered, threatened and endemic taxa.
(c) Cell, tissue, organ and protoplast cultures in micropropagation and genetic
(d) Biotechnology in Agri-horticulture, Medicine and Industry.
(e) Plants as sources of food, fibres, fatty oils, drugs, Fuels and timbers,
paper, rubber beverages, spices, resins, gums, dyes, insecticides, pesticides
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page