Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Home Science (Code No. 17)
I. Food and Nutrition
1. Meaning and importance.
2. Composition and processing of cereals, pulses, nuts and oil seeds, egg, meat,
fish, fruits and vegetables, milk and milk products.
3. Properties, functions, requirements, sources and effects of deficiency &
excess of protein, carbohydrates, lipids, vitamins, minerals and water. Energy
4. Food groups and balanced diet.
5. Normal nutrition during adulthood, pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood,
adolescence and elderly.
6. Therapeutic diets-etiology, dietary principles and modifications in fevers,
weight management, constipation, diarrhea, peptic ulcer, hepatitis, cirrhosis,
atherosclerosis, hypertension, renal disorders, diabetes.
7. Malnutrition and national nutritional programmes.
II Human developments
1. Meaning and principles of growth and development. Developmental
aspects-physical, motor, languages, social, moral, personality, emotional and
cognitive development from infancy to adolescence. Play and creativity.
2. Marriage-goals, adjustment, success and conflicts.
3. Family-meaning, types, functions, role of family members, family life cycle,
parent child relationship.
4. Pre-school education- importance, methods and philosophies for pre-school
education in India.
5. Problems of childhood, adolescence, old age and disabled. Juvenile
III Clothing and textiles
1. Classification and properties of fibers and yarn. Fabric construction.
Fabric finishes, dyeing and printing of textiles, chemicals used in textiles
processing and their effect.
2. Laundry reagents and their functions.
3. Elements of art and principles of design and their application in clothing.
Psychological and sociological influence of clothes. Selection, care and
purchase of fabrics and readymade garments for apparel household use.
4. Clothing budget and consumer problems. Labelling and standardization.
5. Principles of drafting and common fitting problems. Traditional textiles and
embroideries of different states of India.
IV Family resource management
1. Human needs and wants, consumer behaviour, types of markets, budgeting,
saving and investment. Concept and process of management.
2. Management of resources. Decision making and work simplification. Household
equipment-principles, use, care and maintenance.
3. Housing - needs and problems, space distribution, building components and
materials, housing finance.
4. Elements and principles of design and their application in interior
5. Selection, use and care of furniture and accessories. Table layout.
6. Consumer education - rights and responsibilities, entrepreneurship.
V Extension education
1. Concept, philosophy, objectives and scope of extension education.
Extension teaching methods, teaching aids, modes of communication. Extension
education and the learning process.
2. Rural and urban community - Characteristics and types, social stratification,
social changes and mobility.
3. Extension programmes, role of formal and informal institutions and agencies
in community development.
4. Contribution of Home Science in community development.
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page