Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Psychology (Code No. 26)
1. Scope, Method and subject matter.
2. Methods : Experimental methods, Field Studies, clinical and case
methods, Characteristics of psychological studies.
3. Physiological Basis, Structure and functions of the nervous
systems, functions of the endocrine system.
4. Development of Behaviour, Genetic mechanism, Environmental factors,
Growth and maturation, Relevant experimental studies.
5. Cognitive processes (I) : Perception, Perceptual Process ;
Perceptual organisation, Perception of form, colour, depth and time, Perceptual
constancy, Role of motivation, Social and cultural factors in perceptions.
6. Cognitive Processes (II) : Learning. Learning process. Learning
theories; Classical conditioning, Operant conditioning, Trial and error and
Insight theories, Perceptual learning. Learning and motivation. Verbal learning.
7. Cognitive Processes (III) : Remembering. Measurement of
remembering. Shortterm memory. Long-term memory. Forgetting. Theories of
8. Cognitive Processes (IV) : Thinking. Development of thinking.
Language and thought. Images. Concept formation. Problems solving
9. Intelligence : Nature of intelligence. Theories of intelligence.
Measurement of intelligence. Intelligence and creativity.
10. Motivation : Needs, drives and motives. Classification of motives
Measurement of motives. Theories of motivation.
11. Personality : Nature of personality. Triat and type approaches.
Determinants of personality. Personality assessment : techniques and tests.
12. Coping Behaviour. Coping Mechanisms. Coping with frustration and
13. Attitudes. Nature of attitudes. Theories of attitudes. Measurement
of attitudes. Change of attitudes.
14. Communication : Types of communication, Communication process.
Communication network. Distortion of communication.
15. Applications of psychology in industry, Education and Community.
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page