Rajasthan Public Service Commission
RAS Pre-Syllabus: Zoology (Code No. 30)
1. Cell : Cell structure and Functions of organelles; Cell division
and metabolism; Mendel's Laws of inheritance and its present status; Mutations;
Chromosomes and genes
2. Microbiology & Biotechnology : Brief history, classification and
identification of bacteria and viruses. General knowledge of historical
perspective and future prospects of biotechnology.
3. Biochemistry : Enzymes (nature & functions), Biochemical energetics
(Basic thermodynamics, energy & its forms). Biological oxidation.
4. Developmental Biology : Gametogenesis, fertilization, cleavage,
gastrulation and embryogenesis of frog metamorphosis with reference to Ascidian
& frog. Development of foetal membrances in chick and mammals and placentation.
5. Systemic position, structure, reproduction & life history of following
Trypanosome, Monocystis, Plasmodium, Paramecium, Sycon, Obelia, Aurelia,
Fasciola, Taenia, Ascoris, Nereis, Pheretima. Hirudinaria, Palaemon, Palamnaeus,
Periplaneta, Pila, Unio, Balanoglossus, Amphioxus and Herdmania.
6. Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates (Fish to Mammal) and Mammalian
Physiology; Integument Endoskeleton Digestive system, Respiratory system.
Circulatorysystem, Urinogenital system, Nervous system, Sense orgns and
7. Ecology & Ethology : Biotic & abiotic factors; Population;
Community; Concept of Ecosystem. Fresh water, marine. Desert habitat; Pollution
(Source, impact & prevention) : Concept of ethology; methods of studying
behaviour, social behaviour in animals; Management of wild life; Bird & Fish
migration and future prospects of biotechnology.
8. Evolution and Zoogeography : Origin of life : Theories and
evidences of evolution; speciation, Isolation. Principal Zoogeographical regions
and their faunal pattern.
9. Applied Zoology : Economic importance of Protozoans, Helminths,
insects and molluses and pisciculture. Parasitic adaptations in animals.
Go TO RPSC Examination Syllabus Page