Civil Services Exam Paper Pattern (Tamil)
Note : Answers
must be written in Tamil
Part 1: History of Tamil Language
- Major Indian Language Families - The
place of Tamil among Indian languages in general and Dravidian in
particular-Enumeration and Distributionof Dravidian languages.
- The language of Sangam literature - The
language of medieval Tamil: Pallava period only-Historical study of Nouns,
Vebs, adjectives, adverbs Tense markers and case markers in Tamil.
- Borrowing of words from other languages
into Tamil - Regional and social dialects, difference between literary and
Part 2: History of Tamil
- Tolkappiyam - Sangam Literatue, The
division of Akam and puram, The secular characteristics of Sangam
Literature, The development of Ethical literature, Silappadikaram and
Part 3: Devotional literature
(Alwars and Nayanmars)
- The bridal mysticism in Alwar
hymns-Minor literary forms (Tutu, Ula, Parani, Kuravanji).
- Social factors for the development of
Modern Tamil literature: Novel, Short story and New Poetry-The impact of
various political ideologies on modern writings.
Part 1: Recent trends in Tamil
- Approaches to criticism - Social ,
psychologiocal, hostorical and moralistic-the use of criticism-the various
techniques in literature: Ullurai, Iraicchi, Thonmam (Myth) Otturuvagam
(allegory), Angadam (Satire), Meyppadu, Padimam(image), Kuriyeedu (Symbol),
Irunmai (ambiguity)-The concep[t of comparative literature-the principle of
Part 2: Folk literature in
- Ballads, Songs, proverbs and
riddles-Sociological study of Tamil folklore.
- Uses of translation-Translation of
Tamil works into other languages-Development of journalism in Tamil.
Part 3: Cultural Heritage of
- Concept of Love and War-Concept of
Aram-the ethical codes adopted by the ancient Tamils in their
warfare-customs, beliefs, rituals, modes of worship in the five Thinais.
- The cultural changes as revealed in
post sangam literature-cultural fusion in the medieval period (Jainism &
- The development of arts and
architecture through the ages (Pallavas, later cholas, and Nayaks).
- The impact of various political,
social, religious and cultural movements on Tamil Society. The role of mass
media in the cultural change of contemporary Tamill society.
The paper will require first hand
reading of the Text prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability
of the candidate.
Part 1: Ancient Literature
- Kuruntokai (1-25 poems)
- Purananurui (182-200 poems)
- Tirukkural Porutpal: Arasiyalum
Amaichiyalum (from Iraimatchi to Avaianjamai)
Part 2: Epic Literature
- Silappadikaram: Madhurai Kandam only.
- Kambaramayanam: Kumbakarunan Vadhai
Part 3: Devotional Literature
- Tiruvasagam: Neetthal Vinnappam
- Tiruppavai: (Full Text)
- Bharathiar: Kannan Pattu
- Bharathidasan: Kudumba VilakkuNaa.
Kamarasan: Karuppu Malarkal
- Mu. Varadharajanar. Aramum Arasiyalum
- C N Annadurai: Ye! Thazhntha
Part 2: Novel, Short story and
- Akilon: Chittirappavai
- Jayakanthan: Gurupeedam
- Cho: Yarukkum Vetkamillai
Part 3: Folk Literature
- Muthuppattan Kathai Edited by Na.
Vanamamalai, (Publication: Madurai Kamaraj University)
- Malaiyaruvi, Edited by Ki. Va
Jagannathan (Publication: Saraswathi, Mahal, Thanjavur)