Public Administration Mains 2017 : Model Question and Answer - 35
Public Administration Mains 2017 : Model Question and Answer
(Public Administration Paper I / Chapter: Public Policy)
: What are the various State theories with its Public Policy ? (40 Marks/500
Model Answer :
A state can adopt many different approaches to public policy. The various State theories with its Public Policy are following:
Pluralistic Public Policy
- Public policy represents all sections which works for the benefit of all. It is not based towards interests of any particular group and is sensitive interests of whole society.
Neo-Pluralistic Public Policy
- Public policy is the product of relative strengths of various pressure groups and interests of the state public policy further the interests of the business class. It also furthers the state’s interests.
Public Policy of Capitalist State
- Public policy carries the interest of the bourgeoisie. More powerful groups among the bourgeoise are able to influence the policy in the favour.
Public Policy of Marxist State
- Public Policy is egalitarian and provides equal benefits to all sections.
- There is no discrimination and no incentives are given to business class. Public Policy is directed towards more equality.
Public Policy of Leviathan State
Public Policy is oriented towards more state intervention, more taxes, more government expenditure, more government activities and more bureaucratic control of private sector, voluntary sector and individual life.
- Public Policy flows from general concern of equality and justice. For eg. Gender Budgeting, reservation of women in various institutions.
- Public Policy flows from a general concern for maintaining and perpetuating the male hegemony in the society.
- Public Policy is concerned with minimal functions – Providing legal framework, board economic direction, provide suitable environment for individual and markets to function. State performs the role of a night watchman.
- Public Policy is focused on State Development in economic life with a purpose of promoting industrial growth and economic development.
- Public Policy is geared towards participation with the market.
- Public Policy is aimed at total state control of economic activities.
- If Focuses on centralized and directive planning and Public sector.
- Public Policy geared towards maintaining control in all aspects.
- Public Policy strengthens the state and weakness the private and voluntary sector.
- Public Policy is dictated by the elite. If flows from elite to masses;
- Masses have no participation in policy formulation.
- Public Policy focuses on investment in education, technical up gradation; supporting market in increasing efficiency, reducing costs to be globally more competitive.
Laissez Faire State
- Public Policy is totally liberal, covering very few areas of public areas like Law and Order, Security etc.
- Public Policy provides no control of economy activities.
- Role of state and its significance are threatened by developments like ethnic conflicts, organized crime etc.
- Public Policy of Hollow States in incapable of bringing any substantial change in economic or social life of the state. (Total Words- 500)
(Linkages : Control and Accountability, Legislative Control and Accountability, Executive Control and Accountability, Judicial Control and Accountability, Media, Customers, Own Conscience and Accountability)