Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main General Studies Comprehensive Sample Paper
1. Answer the following (in about 250 words for each answer) 20×2=40
(a) Explain how economic policies of Britishers led to the transformation of
India’s economy into a colonial economy.
(b) Explain how the Socio-religious reforms contribute to the national awakening
2. Answer the following about 150 words each: 12×2=24
(a) Bring out the Salient features of the Public features of the Public
Interest Disclosure and protection to Persons Making the Disclosures Bill, 2010.
(b) Bring out the Salient features of the Prevention of Torture Bill,
3. Answer any of the following in about 150 words each. 12×2=24
(a) What do you understand by Contempt of Parliament.
(b) How the Political Parties in India are classified as state parties or
National Parties or both by the Election Commission of India.
4. Answer any two of the following in about 150 words each.
(a) Give a brief account of National Water Mission approved by the Prime
Minister Council on climate change.
(b) Give a brief account of Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor.
(c) What do you understand by the term Paid News? Give some recent example
5. Write brief but precise notes on any six of the following. Your answer
should not exceed 50 words in each case. 5×6=30
(a) Raja Ravi Varma.
(b) The Chernoby disaster.
(c) Raja Raja Cholan.
(d) Durga bai Deshmukh.
(e) Corporate faming.
(f) The South Pole.
(g) Geothermal Power.
6. Answer any there of the following in about 150 words each. 12×3=36
(a) Bring out the Salient features of the forward contracts (Regulation)
Amendment Bill, 2010.
(b) What do you understand by the term Teaser Loan? Why it has been in the news
(c) What is a micro finance institution? Bring out the recommendations of Male-gam
7. Answer any five of the following in about 150 words each: 12×5=60
(a) What do you understand by the term Strategic Sale of a Company? Bring
out the government with reference to profit making public sector undertaking (PSUs)
(b) What is Human Papillomavirus (HPV)? Write about recent Controversies
associated with HPV vaccines project in India.
(c) Bring out Salient features of the recent draft on protection of children
from sexual offences Bill, 2010.
(d) Bring out the N.R. Madhava Menon Committee recommendations on Autonomy of
Central Educational Institutions.
(e) Write about the National e-government plan (NeGP) and its status in India.
(f) Bring out the recommendations of Vaidhyanathan Committee on Agriculture
8. Answer each of the following briefly but precisely. Each answer should
be leess than 50 words. 5×6=30
(c) Sanchar Shaktri
(d) Diclofenac drug Controversy.
(e) Gram Nyayalayas Act.
(f) Double Jeopardy.
9. Write brief notes on each of the following in about 20 words each.
(a) Green bonus.
(b) Electronic waste.
(c) Green diesel.
(d) Codex Alimentarius
(e) Ramsar Convention.
(g) Anchor Investors.
10. Write brief notes on each of the following in about 20 words each.
(a) Liu Xiaobo.
(b) Salva Kiir.
(c) Mother Teresa.
(d) Bobby Jindal.
(e) Binayak Sen.
(f) Homi Selhna.
(g) L.C. Sain.
(h) Kamala Harris.