Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main History Optional Paper - II
1. Comment on any three of the following statements in about 200 words each:
20 × 3 = 60
(a) Post Mauryan period was a ‘dark age’
(b) Sangam literature
(c) Sankaracharya’s Vedanta
(d) Kalhan the historian
2. Examine the information of fahien about political, religious, social and
economic condition of India. How far is it true that Gupta period was ‘Golden
3. (a) Economic condition of India and Foreign trade after Guptas. Explain 30
(b) Harsh was the last great Hindu emperor. Analyse. 30
4. Muslim invasion was the cause of a political vacuum created by the
triangular conflict between the Rashtrakutas, Gurjara Pratiharas and Palas.
5. Comment on any three of the following statements in about 200 words each:
20 × 3 = 60
(a) Social stratification during Rajput period .
(b) Indian feudal system.
(c) Pallav Administration.
(d) Local self governance under the chollas.
6. (a) What were the causes of defeat of rajputas at hands of muslim invadors?
(b) Explain Various types of temple architecture. 30
7. Attempt a critical essay of the Indian science and civilization in the
light of al-beruni’s writing what merits and drawbacks, do you find in his
8. (a) How did arrival of Islam in India effected Hindu religion and society?
(b) What was the situation in scientific and technological developments in India
up to C. A. D 750. 30