Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main History Optional Paper - IV
1. Comment on any three of the following statements in about 200 words
each: 20 × 3 = 60
(a) Mansabdari System.
(b) Mughal architecture.
(c) Pahari Painting.
(d) Emergence of Afghan power and war of Panipat, 1761
2. “The recurring famine were the inevitable consequence of the British
policy and expose the real character of the paternal solitude for the peasantry
on the part of the British administration.” Examine this statement critically.
3. (a) What is meant by ‘un-British rule’ in India? How did the Indian
nationalists react against it? 30
(b) Write a critique on the impact of the Drain theory of Dadabhai Naoroji
in the growth of economic nationalism. 30
4. (a) Define the policy of subsidiary alliance and doctrine of Lapse. 30.
(b) What were the factors behind British success against Indian powers?
5. Write a brief note on the following (not more than 100 words) 10 × 6 =
(a) Sawai Jai Sing the astronomer,
(b) Dara Sikoh
(c) Lord Auckland & Sindh
(e) Mysore under Tipu Sultan
6. Discuss the main features of permanent settlement. Absentee landlordism
was consequential feature of Bengal’s permanent land settlements. 60
7. (a) Characterise the main features of Indian Renaissance. 30
(b) The name of Raja Rammohan Roy stands foremost in the field of religious
and social reforms. Elucidate. 30
8. What were the causes, nature and impact of the Revolt of 1857?