Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main Public
Administration Optional Paper - V
1. Comment on any Three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
each: 20 × 3 = 60 Marks
(a) Comment: “The Arthashastra is India’s oldest complete text on Public
(b) Comment: “Kautilya’s Arthashastra has significant relevance to the
contemporary Indian administration”.
(c) Comment: ‘The Mughal Administrative system was a military rule by nature and
was centralized despotism”.
(d) Comment: “The period of British rule generated most of the structural and
behavioral values of Indian Administration not by imitation but through
2. Indian federalism is described as federal in form but unitary in
spirit”.Discuss. 60 Marks
3. ‘The Indian Constitution considerably influences the nature, role and
structure of Indian administration”. Elucidate. 60 Marks
4. “The Central Secretariat is a policy formulating coordinating and
supervisory agency besides being the principal executive agency of the
government”. Explain. 60 Marks
5. Comment on any Three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
each: 20 × 3=60 Marks
(a) Comment: “The use of the word `Socialist” in the Indian Constitution has
become redundant in the context of the liberalized economy”.
(b) Comment: “In India, Prime Minister carries de facto powers of the Union
(c) Comment: “ In India, President has some special powers where he has to act
upon his discretion”.
(d) Comment: “ Indian Constitution conferred supreme power to the President”.
6. “The Secretariat system of work has lent balance, consistency and
continuity to the administration and serves as a nucleus for the total machinery
of a ministry. The concept of Secretariat and Directorate method of working
revived the hidden differences between Generalist Vs Specialist” .Explain. 60
7. “Rather than describing the Prime Minister’s position through phrases, it
is better to examine how the office of the Prime Minister has actually evolved
over time “. Explain 60 Marks
8. (a) The Planning Commission should reinvent itself a systems reforms
commission in the backdrop of changed global domestic scenarios. Discuss 30
(b) “The essential purpose of Cabinet Committee is to relieve the cabinet of
some burden of work”. Discuss. 30 Marks