Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main Public
Administration Optional Paper - VI
1. Comment on any Three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
each: 20 × 3 = 60 Marks
(a) Comment:” The Governor of a State wears two hats, and therefore, dilemmas
have arisen in practice”.
(b) Comment: “It is a major challenge to balance the role of District Collector
with the powers of democratic bodies”.
(c) Comment: “District Administration is like a small tortoise carrying the load
of an elephant”.
(d) Comment: “The legislative and financial relations between Union and State
governments are more biased towards Union government”.
2. The role of local self-government in the state administration is of
considerable importance. Evaluate the statement in the context of the changes
after 73rd and 74th amendments. 60 Marks
3 (a) “State Directorates are administrative and implementation units
assisting the Department functioning from the Secretariat’. Explain. 30 Marks
(b) “In the Chief Secretary, the State Government has an officer whose
counterpart does not available in the Union Government”. Elucidate. 30 Marks
4. Critically review the evolving relationship between the district
magistrate and the superintendent of police in the field of law and order
management in a district”. 60 Marks
5. Comment on any Three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
each: 20 × 3 = 60 Marks
(a) Comment: “Special development programmes seek to solve special problems, but
their successful implementation depends on complex inter-institutional
(b) Comment: ‘NGOs are fast replacing the government in the implementation of a
large number of programmes’.
(c) Comment: “As such for district plan to be meaningful, there has to be a
(d) “The District Rural Development Agency is presently serving as the nodal
agency of rural development at the district level”. Comment.
6. “Do you think that the Constitutionalisation of three-tier Federalism in
India will be a viable model for a future liberal democracy.” Describe 60 Marks
7. “The position of Governors towards exercising their discretion and powers
has considerably changed after 1967”.Discuss. 60 Marks
8. “The Chief Minister symbolizes ruling power structure and is the real
executive head of the State Government.” Discuss the above statement in the
light of his position in present Coalition Government. 60 Marks