Undoing harms (The Hindu)
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Citizenship Amendment Act
Mains level: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features,
amendments, significant provisions and basic structure
- There is a country wide protest against the Citizenship Amendment Act,
2019 which was passed recently.
What could be done?
- The government must pay attention to bring out meaningful changes that
would dispel fears gripping the country, especially minorities.
Further amend the Act: Drop its religion specific wording
- There is a need to further amend the Act, even by an ordinance, to drop
its religion specific wording, and make it explicit that the benefit would
be open to all undocumented migrants who can prove persecution in their home
- There is no need to bar Muslims for allowing a Hindu, Sikh, Christian,
Jain, Buddhist or Parsi to apply for citizenship after staying in the
country for six years from making a similar claim.
Relaxation of minimum residency requirement:
- General enabling provision to allow a relaxation of the minimum
residency requirement will serve the purpose of considering citizenship to
any persecuted people.
- This would be non-discriminatory, without obligation to grant
Enact a refugee law:
- India should enact a refugee law wherein the right to live a life
without fear or confinement can be protected.
- If the fear is that people may seek permanent asylum, the UNHCR can work
with them officially for their voluntary repatriation, and without rendering
longterm refugees ineligible for applying for citizenship.
Q.1) With reference to the first ‘Antarrashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman’,
consider the following statements:
1. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting had instituted the first
Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman (AYDMS) in June, 2019 to mark the
contribution of media in spreading the message of Yoga.
2. The International Day of Yoga is being celebrated annually on 21 of June
every year, since 2015.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q.1) What are the major challenges for the government to implement Citizenship