Betrayals from outside and within (The
Mains Paper 1: Society
Prelims level : Islamic State
Mains level : Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism and secularism.
- The fight against the Islamic State (IS) was won with the help of three
major forces on the ground, for the Western coalition on its own would not
have managed to do much with remote-controlled bombs.
- These were the Kurds, the Shia militia and ordinary Muslims (Sunni and
Shia) who spoke up against the kind of Islam espoused by the IS and its
supporters, choking the movement of easy recruits.
- Towards the end of 2019, Donald Trump’s America betrayed the Kurds and
- In early 2020, with the ‘targeted killing’ of Qassem Soleimani, Trump’s
America betrayed the second partner.
- The very Shia forces with which the West had collaborated in both
Afghanistan and Iraq to fight al-Qaeda and the IS.
- At the core of the crisis in the so-called Muslim world is not the U.S.
or any other external factor. It is the narrowness of Muslims themselves.
- It is the narrowness of their understanding of themselves.
- By failing to allow other Muslims to believe or not to believe in their
own ways, they do not just divide themselves up — persecuting the atheists,
Ahmedis, Bohras, Shias, Sunnis etc. — they also cut themselves off from
- If you cannot allow fellow Muslims to differ openly, how will you accept
Hindus or Sikhs who do not believe like you do?
- This is at the heart of the problem. Religious Muslims need to expand
their understanding of Islam in order to embrace — and be embraced by — the
Q.1) With reference to the “Small Finance Bank”, consider the following
1. Shivalik Mercantile Co-operative Bank Limited has become the first urban
cooperative bank (UCB) that has been granted ‘in-principle’ permission to
convert into a small finance bank by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
2. The minimum paid-up equity capital for small finance banks shall be Rs 100
crore under 'on-tap' license regime.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q.1) Do you think the Muslims around the world are being pushed to the wall but
they must avoid the Islamist trap? Comment.