Demographic dividend to demographic
wasteland (Indian Express)
Mains Paper 2: Society
Prelims level : Not much
Mains level : Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism and secularism
- One of the greatest privileges of being a Chief Economic Advisor was the
opportunity to meet with students from all over India.
Dividend to wasteland:
- We speak of creating a $5-trillion economy by taking advantage of our
- But if our universities become war zones rather than sacred sanctuaries
of learning, we don’t build human capital.
- We make carcasses of the hopes of our students.
- Just as the psychological burdens of poverty and hardship narrow
cognitive bandwidth (according to research by Sendhil Mullainathan and
Anandi Mani), the psychological burdens of violence on students could impair
their capabilities and turn the demographic dividend into a demographic
- Since building human capital, maintaining social peace and creating
strong institutions are key determinants of long-run development, recent
actions triply undermine achieving sabka saath, sabka vikas.
- It is bad enough that our higher education system has routinely been
failing our youth. It is bad enough too that their prospects of getting
decent, well-paying jobs are becoming more grim.
- To heap violence and physical and psychological insecurity only adds
more hopelessness to their educational years and to their sense of the
future that awaits them.
- For exercising their right of expression, their right to articulate
their concerns and opinions about a set of measures they fear might consign
many Indians to second-class citizenship.
- Regardless, they must be heard.
- This will we be able to understand and address their concerns and to be
clear, address them we must.
Q.1) With reference to the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India
(Liquidation Process) (Amendment) Regulations, 2020, consider the following
1. The amendment clarifies that a person, who is not eligible under the Code
to submit a resolution plan for insolvency resolution of the corporate debtor,
shall not be a party to a compromise or arrangement of the corporate debtor
under section 230 of the Companies Act, 2013.
2. The amendment provides that a secured creditor, who proceeds to realise its
security interest, shall contribute its share of the insolvency resolution
process cost, liquidation process cost and workmen’s dues, within 30 days of the
liquidation commencement date.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Q.1) Is some our higher education institutions has failed to contribute
demographic dividend and remains as a demographic wasteland? Comment.