UK Sikhs force lifting of ban on
turbans (The Hindu)
Mains Paper 1 : International Relation
Prelims level : Wolverhampton Transport Committee
Mains level : Significance on the lift ban on turbans
- Civic chiefs of Wolverhampton last night [April 9] lifted a two-year ban
on Sikh busmen wearing beards and turbans – and averted a ritual suicide
- The ban had angered Britain’s 130,000 Sikhs who considered it an affront
to their religion, and it sparked demonstrations in India.
- The British Government, fearing a race crisis could blow up here [Wolverhampton,
England], intervened, and last night the Wolverhampton Transport Committee
reversed its policy – just four days before Sikh leader Sohan Singh Jolly
planned to burn himself to death.
- Mr. Jolly, 66, a former Inspector in the Kenya Police, had declared that
unless the ban was lifted, his self-immolation on Sunday would be followed
by other prominent Sikhs in a chain of death-by-burning.
- A British Government junior Minister paid a surprise visit to
Wolverhampton on Tuesday.
- The Committee, in apparent deference to this, said it was lifting the
ban because of outside pressure.
Q.1) In a democracy, civil services plays an important role in
1. policy making
2. policy implementation
3. socio-economic development
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1 and 3 only
c) 2 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
Q.1) Discuss the significance on the lift ban on turbans.
HOT! UPSC GS STUDY Kit Offer (1000/- Off)
Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)