Platforms of our own (Indian Express)
Mains Paper 2: Polity
Prelims level: Cambridge Analytica scandal
Mains level: India's interest needs to be protected from unwanted social media
- Social media platforms allow political parties to reach millions of
prospective voters and are therefore an integral part of elections.
- However, some authoritarian regimes across the world have used social
media to manufacture positive public opinion.
- Worse, some established democracies have had to deal with propaganda,
fake news and foreign interference in domestic elections.
- These developments point to the capacity of social media platforms to
seriously undermine democratic practices worldwide.
Measures taken after the Cambridge Analytica scandal
- The Cambridge Analytica scandal, where the company illegally harvested
the personal data of millions of Facebook users without their consent and
used that to influence their voting preferences.
- Facebook has been in the forefront in creating various checks and
balances in cyberspace to create an environment for free and fair elections.
- It has created specialised global centres with the sole aim of promoting
Uses of AI
- As a platform that sees billions of posts each day, Facebook has
identified Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AIML)-powered
pattern recognition tools to be the most effective line of defence against
- Whenever accounts are found that are similar to ones flagged in the
past, and that are inaccurate, abusive, or violating the platforms’ terms of
service, they are systematically removed.
- AIML tools assist the platform block or remove over a million accounts a
For India’s concern
- According to a recent survey, one in two Indian voters has received some
kind of fake news in the month leading to the elections.
- AIML tools also work to minimise the spread of such disinformation.
- Some of the actions taken by these platforms, however, have not been
that well received, especially by those who say that these platforms should
not be deciding what is proper and improper in the Indian online space.
- For instance, Twitter’s top officials, including global CEO Jack Dorsey,
were summoned to appear before the Parliamentary Panel on Information
Technology for alleged bias against right-wing voices on the platform.
- With almost all the popular social media platforms, including Facebook,
Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp.
- It being foreign-owned, and with India having neither insights into
their internal algorithms and functioning nor any viable homegrown
equivalents, its population will always be susceptible to interference
beyond its control.
- India’s ability to create its own mass collaborative technology and
independent institutions with technical expertise that can monitor and
counter actions of the government.
- It is paramount in ensuring that social media evolves into an enabler of
transparency and democracy, rather than a cause of democratic recession.
Q.1) Which of the following is/are correct with reference to the Power
Finance Corporation Ltd.?
1. It is a Navratna central public sector enterprises (CPSE).
2. It is the nodal agency for the financing of Ultra Mega Power Projects (UMPPs).
3. It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Power.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q.1) How to ensure that social media evolves to become an enabler of
transparency and democracy?
HOT! UPSC GS STUDY Kit Offer (1000/- Off)
Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)