Partnership With A Difference
Mains Paper 5: International Relations
Prelims level: G20
Mains level: India and its neighborhood- relations
- Europe’s partnership with India has never been stronger. We are
the world’s two largest democracies.
- India has impressed the world over the last decades with a
tremendous drive towards modernisation and sustainable development.
- India is the world’s fastest-growing large economy, with the
potential to become a global growth engine if it harnesses its full
- The EU is India’s first trading partner and one of its largest
sources of investment.
- Close to 6,000 EU companies are present in India: They create good
jobs for over 6 million people, and invest in the Indian people’s skills and
Key highlights of this partnership
- Our cooperation is already making a positive difference to the
lives of millions of European and Indian citizens, and our new strategy
includes concrete proposals to contribute to each other’s growth, work
towards sustainable modernisation, and jointly promote global peace and
- We work together on climate change and clean energy — a crucial
issue for India’s sustainable development and for improving the quality of
life for ordinary Indians.
- We support the Clean Ganga initiative to remove waste from the
holy river and its banks.
- With our new strategy, expanding India’s sustainable modernisation,
growth can come with better services for their citizens, better public
transport, a healthier environment and better services for business.
- Indian and European researchers are already working together on
pioneering projects for water conservation and on new vaccines that will
prevent the next major epidemic.
- Our Horizon 2020 programme the biggest EU research and innovation
programme ever is co-funding projects with the Indian government.
- Every year, almost 50,000 students from India travel to 4,000
- In recent years, India has not just become a stronger and more
- India is also looking beyond its immediate neighbourhood, as a
more confident global power and a reliable partner in global affairs.
- Our cooperation on security issues is close and constant.
- We are working together to preserve the nuclear deal with Iran,
and our collaboration spans from counter-terrorism to cyber-security.
- Europe and India see the world with the same eyes. That’s why we
are committed to coordinate even more in all multilateral frameworks
including the United Nations, the G20 and the World Trade Organisation.
- Together we can support young democracies across Asia and the
- We can make multilateral institutions stronger and more
representative of all peoples on our planet.
- We can work to fight inequalities and injustice in our own
societies and worldwide.
- We can shape the century ahead of us — for two billion citizens in
our countries, and for the whole world.
Q.1) With reference to BRICS, consider the following statements
1. All 5 members of BRICS are members of G20
2. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank was established by BRICS
3. The 8th BRICS Summit will be the first summit India will be hosting since its
Choose the appropriate code
a) 1 Only
b) 2 and 3 Only
c) 1, 2 and 3
Q.1) Discuss the importance of relationship between India and European