No Platform For Violence
Mains Paper 5: Internal Security
Prelims level: Social Media
Mains level: Challenges to internal security through communication networks,
role of media and social
networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security;
money-laundering and its prevention\
- 26/11 was the first time technology was used for orchestrating
large-scale terrorist attacks in India.
- As a platform, Facebook is deeply aware that terrorists use a
variety of tools to plan, co-ordinate attacks and propagate, radicalise and
- There is no place for terrorism or terrorist content on Facebook.
- Our community standards strictly prohibit and ban the presence of
individuals or organisations engaged in terrorist activity.
- We do not allow praise or valourisation of terrorism on our
Initiatives taken so far
- So far we have taken down more than 14 million pieces of terrorist
- We use a variety of signals, image matching, other AI and machine
learning tools to identify al Qaeda and its affiliates and proactively weed
them out from our platform.
- This year we took down 99 per cent of ISIS and al Qaeda content
before it was reported by anyone in our community.
- We have a team of counter-terrorism experts these experts are
former prosecutors, law enforcement officials, investigators, academics,
- We also have human reviewers with a wide range of linguistic
capabilities covering most languages which are spoken in terror hotspots.
- Over the years we have observed that most terror networks are
global networks. In order to identify dangerous or terrorist organisations
we look at the US-designated foreign terrorist organisations list.
- We also look at proscribed lists issued by the Government of
India. Examples of such organisations that are banned on Facebook include
the Hizbul Mujhahideen, al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent or AQIS.
- 26/11 taught us several strategic security lessons on the need to
organise ourselves better across a range of areas state and security action,
information operations in the real and virtual world, crisis response and
- It also taught us about civic courage and resilience. Last year, I
learnt about Preeti Bisht. Preeti is Ashok Chakra awardee Havildar Gajendra
Singh Bisht’s daughter.
- Havildar Bisht fell while flushing out terrorists from Nariman
House as the National Security Guards fought back the attack. Preeti is now
readying herself to join the Indian army.
- This is the 10th anniversary of the 26/11 attakcs. There have been
a number of heinous global terrorism incidents and a rise in the number of
- Global terrorism incidents claimed 18,700 lives in over 8,500
terrorist attacks across the world in 2017.
- In India alone, there have been 77 major terror incidents this
year, according to the latest figures by the Institute for Conflict
- At the same time, we have seen growing community action to build
safe communities and efforts to de-radicalise groups. We see many such
campaigns on our platform.
Q.1) Consider the following about Nuclear Triad.
1 . A triad consists of nuclear weapons delivery by aircraft, ballistic
missiles and submarine launched missiles.
2. India is the only country other than USA to have a nuclear triad.
3. Completing a nuclear triad is a pre-requisite for membership of Missile
Technology Control Regime
(MTCR) for non-signatories of NPT.
Select the correct answer using the codes below.
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1 only
c) 2 and 3 only
d) 1 and 3 only
Q.1) To what extent social media is responsible for various terrorism
attacks across the world. Critically analyse.