November 24, 1978, Forty Years Ago:
Mains Paper 4: History
Prelims level: Anti-Shah Riots
Mains level: Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the
- Charan Singh gave the impression that he had not closed his
options for rejoining the cabinet. Singh, on getting down from the plane for
the short stop-over in Lucknow this morning.
- He pulled up Raj Narain, who was present there to emplane for
Patna, for making a categorical statement that he (Charan Singh) would not
join the cabinet.
- Singh expressed his annoyance with Raj Narain before a large crowd
of supporters and admirers, including more than a dozen State ministers and
the chief minister.
Aligarh on the Boil
- The explosion of an improvised bomb in a house, killing two
children, 13 and 9, at Delhi Darwaza in Aligarh, shattered the fragile peace
of the city once again.
- Police have also recovered the headless body of an aged woman,
which was in a highly decomposed state.
- The father of the two children killed in the explosion is being
interrogated by the police. This incident is a grim reminder of the fact
that the peace imposed on the town through massive by police is not
- Police killed two persons and wounded five near the southern city
of Shiraz in clashes with demonstrators demanding the ouster of Shah
Mohammed Reza Pahlavi amid simmering unrest in provincial areas, authorities
reported in Teheran.
- Police opened fire on the protesters in the towns of Qir and
Karzin, when they defied orders to disperse.
- The official news agency said that in the riots that followed, the
anti-Shah protesters attacked government buildings and set several
municipality cars on fire.
- Demonstrators burned a bank in the Persian Gulf oil refinery
centre of Abadan, west of Shiraz, and attacked other banks and stores.
- Other anti-Shah demonstrations were reported in the holy city of
Mashhad, near the Soviet border in north-east Iran, and Kermanshah, 416 km
southwest of Teheran. Teheran
Q.1) Consider the following statements about the office of the Prime
1. The Constitution does not contain any specific procedure for the
selection and appointment of the Prime
2. He can possibly bring the collapse of the council of ministers by resigning
3. His resignation automatically leads to the dissolution of the Lok Sabha .
Choose the correct answer using the codes below:
a) 1 and 2
b) 2 and 3
c) 1 and 3
d) All of the above
Q.1) Describe the personalities of Charan Singh. What are the lessons we
can learn from him?