Man with wild (Indian Express)
Mains Paper 3:Environment
Prelims level: Mhadei
Mains level: Human animal conflict and resolve the issues related to it
- The death of four tigers in Mhadei, Goa, and the reported arrest of the
locals who poisoned the animals after their complaints were not attended to
in a way it should have been.
- Pramod Sawant, the chief minister of Goa, reportedly said that, “we will
demarcate and fence the borders of the wildlife sanctuaries” in order to end
80 per cent of the problem. Although the intentions are good, this isn’t a
solution. Tigers do not understand boundaries made for administrative
purposes. What happens when a tiger goes “outside” and kills cattle?
India in wildlife conservation:
- India is a unique country with respect to wildlife conservation. Despite
a billion people we still have most of our large wildlife species. Compared
to relatively lower human density countries in south-east Asia.
- India today has the largest population of the tiger, Asian elephant,
leopard, sloth bear, gaur and many others: These animals cannot be
restricted to inside a few hundred kilometres of protected areas.
- Tigers need large spaces because they are large animals. Because we
cannot create large spaces without humans in India, wildlife does not have a
choice but to also use human-use landscapes.
- The compensation procedures need to be improved. The communication and
interaction between the forest department and the locals has to be improved.
- Inclusive development with a long-term vision that cares for the
environment. It is about better public services in terms of transparency,
accountability and genuine assistance.
- After all, we are talking about communities who need to be custodians of
the tigers and tigers who can, in turn, provide the communities much-needed
development in remote areas.
Q.1) With reference to the Battle of Çanakkale/ Gallipoli, consider the
1. It is considered to be one of the bloodiest of World War II.
2. It was a costly defeat for the Allies and the campaign was considered a great
Which of the statements given above are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) None of the above
Q.1) In current times, man animal conflict is a reality we have to deal with and
thus proactive measures are required for a healthy human animal interface.