(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2007: Public Administration
1. Answer any three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
(a) “Public and Private Administrations are two species of the same genus,
but they also have special values and techniques of their own.” Comment.
(b) “Taylor’s scientific management ignored socialand psychological factors.”
(c) “The distinction between line and staff is relative rather than absolute.”
(d) “Delegated legislation is a necessary evil.” Examine.
2. Analyse McGregor’s Theory X and Theory Y. Do you agree with the
view that with every passing year, McGregor’s message has become more relevant
and more important ? Substantiate your answer.
3. What is meant by morale ? There is a belief that “moral and
productivity go hand in hand and higher the morale, higher the productivity.” Do
you agree ? Substantiate.
4. “Right to information promotes transparency and accountability in
the working of every public authority.” Explain.
5. Attempt any three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
(a) “People’s participation is crucial to development administration.”
(b) “Training is essential not only for efficiency and effectiveness but also
for broadening the vision of the employees.” Substantiate.
(c) “Not to be comparative is to be naively parochial” (Riggs). Comment.
(d) “Implementing a public policy is a process of discovering what works and
what does not.” Examine.
6. Bring out the various techniques of O & M adopted in India to
improve efficiency in administration.
7. “The widening gap in emoluments of government employees versus the
public sector corporations and private sector employees has a strong bearing on
the motivation and ability to work.” Comment.
8. What is performance budgeting ? Bring out its merits, limitations
1. Answer any three of the following in not more that 200
(a) “Kautilya was not only the foremost politicoadministrative thinker of
ancient India but he was an advocate and preacher of moral values too.” Comment.
(b) “Because of several judicial pronouncements, Governors in States are no
longer viewed as agents of the ‘Party in Power’ at the Central level.” Evaluate.
(c) “The President of India acts like grand-parent in a family. If younger
generation does not follow his/her advice, he/she is just unable to do
(d) “Memorandum of understanding scheme’ between government and public
enterprise has forced public undertakings to improve the overall performance.”
2. There is a separate Central Ministry or Department
on each subject allocated to State List. Does it mean supremacy of the Union
Government or an emphasis on development administration ? Analyse.
3. “73rd Constitutional Amendment has provided
permanent structural framework to PRI’s resulting into silent social
4. “The dispute between Secretariat and Directorate is
the result of Generalist vs Specialist controversy.” Analyse.
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200
(a) “The blame for our poor public sector performance can be laid on the way
our bureaucracy is structured.” Comment.
(b) “Parliamentary Departmental Committees have played their role effectively in
analysing the demands for grants.” Evaluate.
(c) “In spite of having Constitutional status the District Planning Committee is
not able to implement decentralised planning due to centralised nature of
economic planning.” Comment.
(d) “A well-designed module-based training for Civil Servants is the best way to
achieve the goals of good governance.” Analyse.
6. “If information is power, nothing can perhaps
empower a citizen more than the secret and developmental informations held by
various public authorities.” Analyse the merits and demerits of RTI Act, 2005 in
the light of this statement.
7. National Commission to review the working of the
Constitution has suggested revolutionary changes in administrative culture.
Analyse its major recommendations on Civil Services and Administration.
8. (a) Critically analyse the functions and role of
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment with regard to development of
disabled persons in India in not more than 200 words.
(b) Define Civil Society. Is it an effective organ to control administrative
(c) “Social (Welfare) Administration in India is witnessing specialization and
faster expansion of its administrative agencies.” Evaluate.