Indian Geography Physical
India Physical (Part -5)
IRON AND STEEL INDUSTRY
Bengal Iron Work company
- Steel was first manufactured by modern methods at Kulti (near Asansol in West Bengal).
Indian Iron and Steel Company (IISCO)
Bengal Iron Work Company who taken over by IISCO. It was set up at Burnpur in 1919 and comprises three units which are located at
- Hirapur-Hirapur produces pig iron.
- Kulti - making steel.
- Burnpur - steel rolling mill.
This company was nationalised in 1972.
Durgapur Steel Plant
It was set up in Burdwan district with the help of U.K.
- Influenced by the availability or readymarket and proximity to Hooghly engineering works.
Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO)
- Located at the confluence of Subanarekha and Kharkai River at Sakchi (now Jamshedpur).
- Oldest and the largest iron and steel centre of India.
Bokaro Steel Plant:
- Located near the confluence of Damodar and Bokaro river with Soviet Collaboration.
Rourkela Stee Plant
- Established in Sundergarh district with the help of West Germany.
- It is the only Plant in India where steel is produced by L.D. conversion process.
Daittari Steel Plant
- Located about 120 km away from the sea coast.
- It is shore based plant and is served by the Paradip port.
Gopalpur Steel Works
- Located about 100 km southeast of Bhubaneswar, a unit TISCO.
- Discovery of coking coal in Korba encouraged the government to set up steel plant at Bhilai with the help of Russia.
Visveswaraya Iron and Steel Limited (VISL)
- Located at Bhadravati in Shimoga district.
- Only integrated Iron and steel plant located outside the iron and cola regions of India.
Vijay Nagar Steel Plant
- Located at Tornagal near Hospet area of Bellary district,, specialises in making mild steel.
Vishakhapatnam-Vizag Steel Plant
- First shore based steel plant, which is part of the govt.’s policy of industrial decentralisation.
- Steel plant was set up with the assistance of UNDP, which produces sponge iron.
Salem Steel Plant
- Produces world class stainless steel and even produces export quality steel.
- Burdawan district (West Bengal) - The Chittaranjan Locomotive Works is situated.
- Varanasi (U.P.): The Diesal Locomotives Works is situated.
- Patiala (Punjab): Diesel Component Works has been set up for manufacturing and repairs of components of diesel locomotives and sub assemblies.
- Bangalore (Karnataka): A wheel and axle plant was set up to cut down the imports.
- Jamshedpur (Jharkhand) Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co. Ltd. (TELCO) is situated.
- Perambur (Tamil Nadu): Integral Coach factory, which produces all types of coaches, is located.
- Kapurthala (Punjab): Rail coach factory.
- Bhilai (Chhattisgarh): Rails and sleeper bars are manufactured.
- Durgapur (West Bengal): Wheels, tyres, and axles are manufactured.
- Some others rail coaches and wagons manufacturing private companies are located at Calcutta, Bangalore.
Air Craft Industry
Bangalore (Karnataka) : The first aircraft industry was set up in 1940.
Different parts of aircrafts are manufactured at different places due to security reasons.
||Main centre of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
SHIP BUILDING INDUSTRY
|Kolkata (West Bengal)
Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh)
|The Garden Reach workshop.
Hindustan Shipyard Ltd.
Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
The Mazgaon Dock.
ELECTRONIC MACHINERY AND EQUIPMENT MAKING INDUSTRY
This industry is divided into
- Heavy Electrical Equipmet Industry and
- Light Electrical Goods Industry.
Bharat Heavy Electrical Ltd. (BHEL) is an important milestone in the development of heavy electrical equipment indusry.
Other Industries are located at
- Kolkata (West Bengal).
- Mumbai, Pune (Maharashtra).
- Chennai, Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu).
- Bangalore (Karnataka).
- Sonipat (Haryana).
- Patiala (Punjab).
BANGALORE (Karnataka): Two units of the Hindustan Machine Tools (H.M.T.) are located, which are the largest manufacturers of machine tools.
Other units of HMT are located at
- Pinjore (Haryana)
- Kalamassery (Kerala).
- Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh).
- Ajmer (Rajasthan)
- Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir)
Thermal Power Projects
||NAME OF PROJECTS
|Jammu and Kashmir
||Faridabad, Panipat, Yamunanagar.
||Kota, Palana, Banswara, Sawai Madhopur Anta (Gas
||Dhuvaran,Gandhinagar, Kawas (Gas based prject).
||Obra (Mirzapur), Rihand, Hardwaganj (Aligarh), Dadri
Auraiya (gas based project).
||Bokaro, Tenughat, etc.
||Korba (Bilaspur), Satpura etc.
|Maharashtra (largest producer of thermal power in India).
||Trombay, Uran Gas Turbine, Bhusawal, etc.
||Ramagundam, Kothagundam, Vijaywada, Nellore.
||Neyveli Mettur, Tuticorin Ennore (Chennai), etc.
Atomic Power Projects
- The Tarapur Atomic Powe Station (TAPS).
- First nuclear station of India was started in 1989.
- Provides electricity to Gujarat and Maharashtra.
|Rawat Bhata (Rajasthan).
- The Rajasthan Atomic Power Station (RAPS).
- Uses natural uranium as fuel, supplies electricity to rajasthan.
|Kalpakkam near Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
- The Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS).
- Electricity is provided to Chennai.
|Narora in Bulandsahar district (Uttar Pradesh).
- The Narora Atomic Power Station (NAPS) provides electricity to Uttar Pradesh and Delhi.
- The Kakrapara Atomic Power Station (KAPS).
- The Kaiga Atomic Power Station.